Chapter 24

Maybe I should've resisted the money until Mrs. Carney agreed to take it back. Now that it's in my hand, I feel sort of wrong to take so much money from her. All I did was wrapping my blazer around Jace's wound.

Even though Victor didn't particularly say anything about me taking the money, what if inside his head he was thinking all kinds of disgusting stuff about me? Like 'she's really thirsty for money'.

I shook my head rapidly along with a slap on both cheeks. He's the only one who knows about the money. Maybe I can share it with him so we both can be equal. He can't make fun of me that way.

How about inviting him to a restaurant? Is that too expensive? Does he like alcohol? I know a good place that's pretty affordable with great street food. In fact, I went there with Sam once and things didn't turn out so great.

Is it weird to ask your boss out for a drink? I heard bosses do ask their employees out for drinks sometimes but Victor doesn't seem like the type. There's even a written rule that the employer and employees can't get close. Whatever, it doesn't hurt to try it out.

"Can you drop me off at the mansion?" I asked Victor's driver.

"But master ordered me to take you home, miss." He answered immediately.

"I forgot my things at the mansion. Please? I'll drive myself back home since my car is also at the mansion." I begged. Staring at the driver seat, I can see him nodding hesitatingly. I sighed in relief.

The Howlton Mansion, 1:05PM

"Thanks for the ride." I said as I got out of the car, waving at him.

"I'm just doing my job, miss." He said cooly and drove off. How can I be certain that Victor is here? Now my anxiety is acting up.

I entered the mansion through facial scanner attached to the gate and made my way to Victor's office expecting him to be there.

To my surprise, I spotted him standing by the pool outside like a rock, doing nothing but stared into the thick forest surrounding the mansion. Hmm, looks like he's in a deep thought. Should I go and disturb him?

I was afraid but I went anyway. I came all the way here, it's too late to back out now. I gradually walked towards him, creeping from behind so he wouldn't see me. "Good afternoon, master." I greeted him calmly and carefully not to startle him. He flinched, immediately turning his head back to face me. I lowered my head down, trying to hide my laughter.

I can hear him let out a long sigh, not sure if it was because he's tired of seeing me or relieved it wasn't some creep trying to rob him in his own home. Either way, he didn't seem too happy to see me. "Didn't I tell driver Kim to take you home? Why are you still here?" He asked.

"He drove me halfway there but I asked him to bring me back here because I have something important to ask you." I anxiously smiled, trying my best to not make him uncomfortable and be straightforward.

"Okay, I'm listening." He replied, crossing his arms together and lowering his head to the side until his right ear got close to my height. Why do I feel insulted by this!?

"Umm..." I hesitated, fidgeting my fingers, not sure how to put it into words. "I-I wanna drink." I said in a trembly tone. What the hell are you saying, Crystal!?

"You wanna drink? Then go." He picked his head back up.

"With you..." I mumbled, my fingers intensely chipping my own nail polish off because I was so anxious.

Victor titled his head, acting confused. "What the hell are you saying?"

I inhaled and exhaled slowly, taking time gathering the right words to say. "I meant would you like to go out for a drink with me this evening?" I squeezed my hands together and closed my eyes. Weirdly enough, I regretted it immediately and wished I didn't have to hear his response.