Chapter 2

"A-An adult!?" I exclaimed, feeling like my heart just dropped to the ground and got stepped on by a dog.

"Ms. Bradley, I apologize for the fake informations on the ad and website. As I've mentioned before, we urgently need a new employee. I think you should be getting the gist of it by now....." She avoided my eyes and smiled forcefully.

"B-But if I'm not here to babysit a child then, what exactly is my position? I'm not interested in serving this mansion as a maid or whatever you call the workers here" I mumbled, she's still in a higher position than me so I can't snap now.

"Ahhh there's nothing to worry about! You know the head of this mansion, the founder of The Howlton High School, right? You'll be working as his secretary from today onward" Her face broke into that cheerful proud smile again.

Wait, isn't that the school Joy is attending!? I'll be working for the founder? Like the highest of the higher ups? I gulped and slowly nodded my head.

"T-That's a relief" At that point, I just let anything slip out as long as it's appropriate.

"Well then, I'm looking forward to your hard work! My assistant, Khloe, will give you a tour of the mansion so you can find your way around by yourself. She'll be informing you about the rules of the mansion as well. Good luck!" She waved and walked off to the opposite direction.

My body felt heavy. My legs were so tensed due to how panicked I was. Being a secretary is like the coolest job I've ever had but why do I get a gut feeling that it's not going to be as easy as I imagined. I've never even seen the founder of Howlton High. What's his name again?

The sound of heels tapping echoed along the empty hallway. I followed the noise and saw a tall lady with model like figure approaching me with a fierce look. Again, she looked no different than Sam, very robotic, no smile, no facial expression. You can see the word work only magically written itself on their forehead.

Feeling like I had to do something instead of just standing in one place, waiting for her to come to me, I bowed politely and smiled. Luckily she bowed back but as expected, she didn't smile in return. My pride hurt a little bit. Why does it feel like I'm being rejected?

"Ms. Bradley? I'm Khloe. Pleasure to meet you" She offered her hand and I took it as quickly as I could without any awkward delay.

"Yes, it's a pleasure to meet you too Ms...?"

"Khloe. Just call me Khloe"

"O-Okay then....Khloe it is..." I muttered to myself.

"Are you ready for a tour around The Howlton Mansion?"

"I was born ready" I said confidently. She nodded and took the lead.

"Not many people know this but this mansion was built back in 1632. The founder was sir Adinah and his beloved bride lady Bethania. Since then, this mansion has been rebuilt, redesigned and redecorated into the current owner's taste. Just to let you know Ms. Bradley, Master is the 5th holder of this mansion. The decisions he makes are very important to the people in this town. I hope you guide him to the right way" Khloe gazed into the distance.

"I-I apologize for rambling too much. Very well, let's not waste anymore time, you came here to work after all. I'll start by showing you the core of the mansion and then continue until we reach the garden outside. Please pay attention and don't get lost" She put on a serious face and walked in a normal speed. I was slightly behind her since I didn't know which way leads to which room.

2 hours after the mansion tour

I plopped down onto the sofa, letting out the biggest sigh. My poor legs...My poor weak trembly legs. I knew the mansion was big but not THIS big. I glanced at Khloe and I can't tell if she's feeling fine or not. If I had to take a guess, she looked mostly bored. I can't imagine how many time she had to repeat the same lines, remembering all the history behind each and every objects.