Chapter 33

Crystal's Apartment, 6:05PM

After the long exhausting mental torture at the Cafe, I stopped by the mall to get some grocery since we were running out of food in the fridge. Besides, I figured I needed a breath of fresh air. Not saying the air at the mall is fresh but it's a good way of releasing stress to shop til you drop.

I got home once the sun has set, ringing the doorbell while my hands were full with grocery bags. Joy rushed to open the door as always, greeted me with a humble attitude because she noticed what I was carrying. That's right, your siblings are only grateful to you when you get them food.

"Did you get ice cream like I asked you to last week?" Joy asked, holding the door opened.

"Yeah. Now out of my way, I feel beat." I commanded, shoving her aside with my left arm. She squealed in happiness once she heard my response.

I dropped all the grocery bags as I got to the kitchen counter. Joyed followed behind me like an impatient puppy, aggressively searching the bag for her taro flavoured ice cream.

"Set the grocery in the fridge while you're at it." I yelled as I got to the living room, throwing my rock hard body onto the soft bouncy couch.

"Fineeee!" She responded with her mouth full. She really couldn't wait until she finish her task, huh. Oh well, I have more important things to worry about.

I placed my feet up on the couch, hugging my knees tightly to my chest. The Television's screen was black, the house was peacefully silent besides little rattling noise from the kitchen. I looked up at the ceiling, sinking into the fluffy cushion, letting my head rest on the soft back pillows.

I can't help but pondered about the whole situation at the Howlton Mansion, specifically what is Victor up to right now? Is he doing okay? Is the president doing him any harm? It's not that far fetched to think a father is willing to hurt his grown up son considering all the rumors, warnings and red flags about him. His entire existence and aura scream danger.

"Isn't today just a typical work day? Why do you look so busted? Like you just dug yourself out of a grave." Joy asked as she walked out from the kitchen. Like I just dug myself out of a grave? But I feel like I'm about to get myself buried deep under.

"I wish it was just a typical work day...." I mumbled, too exhausted and lost in my own thoughts to argue with her.

She stared at me for a few seconds, wearing a guilty look on her face. "Sounds serious. Mind telling me about it? Sorry for the unnecessary comments..." She plopped down next to me, fiddling with her fingers.

"Forget it. You wouldn't understand." I murmured, lifting my head up and resting it back down on my knees.

"I'm not a kid anymore, Crystal!" She raised her voice, sounded upset. Yeah, I know that. But how am I supposed to tell her? It would take all night explaining from start to finish. She doesn't even know half of these people.

As I was struggling to find a suitable reply, an idea flickered in my head. I don't have to go into details. I can casually give her a brief story, just enough to make her understand. Maybe she could be of help.

"Alright then, listen carefully." I let out a huge sigh before continuing. "There's an inspection scheduled for today and I was supposed to be there until it ends. For some reason, I was forced to take an early leave before the inspection even ended. What on earth kind of inspection goes on for this long?" I furrowed, almost got mad at my own explanation.

"Hmmm." She carefully stroked her chin, slowly nodding. "It does seem suspicious."

I glanced at her almost immediately. "I know right! It's been bothering me all day!" I exclaimed.

"You're still extremely worn out even after taken an early leave. Maybe you need to go see a medical professional." She turned to me, smiling proudly at her own response.

"What?" I questioned, deadpan. Joy gave me a quizzical look, leaning back like she's scared that I was going to hit her.

"That's not what I meant!" I slapped my forehead. "Did you even listen to what I just said? It's suspicious how I was forced to take an early leave even though I was supposed to be there until the inspection end. Another dubious part is how the inspection is still going considering it started since morning. Do you get it now?" I furrowed, feeling frustrated because I had to explain it all over again.

"But how do you know that?" Was her only response after my furious followup explanation.

"Huh?" My mouth hung wide opened, confused yet again.

"The inspection. How do you know it's still going? If you were forced to take an early leave, how are you so sure that it hasn't already ended?" She arched her eyebrows.

My eyes went wide by the time realization hit. She's right. Why am I so fast to assume that the inspection is still going? It could've ended while I was talking to Justin in the cafe or when I went to the mall to get grocery.

"And before you scold me saying I don't know anything about inspections, I've witnessed plenty at my school. I know how long it usually lasts. Probably between three to four hours so I'm sure it's nothing different there. I'm sure it ended long ago. And about your early leave, I have no idea..." She rubbed the back of her neck, not sure what to say next.

I think I figured it out, all thanks to Joy. I grabbed her wrists. "Thank you, Joy! Look after the apartment while I'm gone. Don't wait for me and go to bed at a respectful time, got it!?" I gave her a determined look before letting go of her wrists.

"W-Wah??? You're leaving?? But you just got home!" She shot up from the couch, watching me rushing around the room, gathering my stuff.

I nodded to her question. "There's still some work I have to finish." I flashed her a quick smile before disappearing out the door. Hang in there master! I'm going to save you!