Chapter 8

"I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this" I mumbled the same phrase over and over again to myself as a way to calm my nerves down.

Victor was in his office as always but I was not allowed to come in unless he call for me because he was having a meeting with some scary looking men.

Me, being jobless as usual, kept walking back and forth in the main corridor, repeating some self reassuring phrases to gain my self esteem back.

"I can do it. I can do it. I can do-" As I was doing my thing, I forgot what reality was and bumped into someone causing me to fall flat on the smooth wooden floor.

"Ms. Bradley? I beg your pardon. Are you alright?" I looked up to see Sam bowing gracefully.

"It's my fault for keeping my head down. I'm sorry for walking into you" I was not used to the idea of bowing to a friend so instead, I just smiled brightly.

"Let me help you" He offered his hand that was covered in pure white gloves.

"Thanks" I took it and managed to get up.

"Owww" I brushed the dust off of the back of my mini skirt and rubbed my bum gently.

"As an apology, you can have this" Sam looked away and gave me a bunch of papers, stapled together.

"What is this?" I stared at the front page.

"The Howlton High reports from last month's visit. I was going to dispose it but I thought you might need it since you don't look too well and I made you fall so please forgive me for that" He avoided making eyes contact.

"You really don't listen huh? Why are you disposing it anyway?" I flipped through the pages.

"It's a command from master. I don't have a reason to give you" He finally looked at me.

"Won't you get in trouble if master find out?" I raised one of my eyebrows.

"The obvious response to that is yes but that depends on you, Miss" He stared into my eyes with his sharp gaze, almost like he's glaring at me.

"Very well then, good luck with your first examination. I hope it won't be the last" He turned his back and walked to the opposite direction.

What was that about? Something about his tone when he said the word last really gave me the chills. How can a scrawny and innocent looking young man be so ominous?

Victor's Office, 7:49AM

"What's taking you so long? Because I've been going easy on you, you became listless now?" Victor tapped his finger frustratingly against his desk.

"I-I beg your pardon" I put my hands behind my back and bowed.

"Seeing you apologizing is making me more angry" He muttered and walked out of his desk.

"Eh?" I stared at him confused.

"This is Allan. He's going to be your partner for today. He's my right hand man and your senior so treat him with full respect" He gave Allan a pat on the shoulder.

"And Allan, this is Crystal, the new secretary I told you about. She's a bit of an airhead so lead her back on the right track" Victor glanced at me. Wow, he's so great at introducing two strangers to each other. I'm not offended at all.

"It's my pleasure to work with you. Please take care of me" I offered him my hand confidently. He shook it with a warm smile.

"We're leaving in fifteen minutes. Grab what you need. I'm heading out first" Said Victor, shoving his hands into his pockets and walked out.