Chapter .36.

In no time after I reach the Café, I am overwhelmed in hugs and congratulations and cozily seated in a corner, sipping some hot chocolate.

What can I say? Perks of being the owner's favourite.

"I'm really happy for you Renesse, although it's getting quite boring here without you yelling at Rico to stop snogging his girl in the kitchen or doodling frogs on my apron." Maria says sadly, sitting opposite to me in the little booth.

I let out a weak laugh. "It's going to be hard for me too, but I'll try to visit as much as I can."

Maria smiles. Someone calls her name and she looks back at me. "Sorry Nesse, there's a bit of a rush today, I'll see you in a while."

"Yeah no problem. Go on ahead."

She gets up and leaves and I stare at my cup of hot chocolate, watching the vapours rise up and dissipate into the air. I check my phone again. Aiden had still not replied, he must still be in the interview.

"Hey." A familiar voice calls out.

I look up and meet Zeke's shimmering emerald orbs. I was slightly glad to have some company.

"Hey," I say, sitting up straight.

"Weren't you working here before?" He asks me, smiling lopsidedly.

"Yeah, well, I got a new job. And I'm actually happy with it." I say and shrug.

His irises flicker to the colourful bag I'd gotten as a gift from the company.

"Animatrixx?" He lets out a low whistle. "Figures. You always seemed like the artistic type to me."

I raise an eyebrow. "And how could you tell? We'd only known each other for a few hours."

"Let's just say I'm a good judge. Do you mind if I sit down?"

"Not at all."

"How have things been going?" He asks, wrapping a paper straw around his little finger.

"Well there's a lot of things in my life. A little specification?"

He looks away. "Y'know, the guy you saw at the park. The one who went missing." His tone is strained, like it's a bad memory.

I let out a breath. "I've made progress, actually. A lot of it. And I don't know if I'm happy with that or not. I'm learning a lot of stuff I'd be perfectly happy without, but I'm also enjoying some of that information."

Zeke chuckles. "That's a very straight answer."

"Pff, whatever dude." I say in a hobo voice. Is there a thing called a hobo voice? If there was, I used it.

He points a long finger toward my cup. "Hot chocolate is meant to be hot when you drink it, Renesse."

"What if I didn't like my things hot?" I ask, swirling my finger round the rim of my cup.

He smirks. "Then you wouldn't have agreed on a date with me."

"Wow. The amount of cockiness is just up there. I wouldn't be surprised if your fiancé was a mirror."

"Must be one fine reflection in it then," he laughs.

I roll my eyes and pick up my cup to see that the hot chocolate had cooled down enough for me to chug it, so I do.

Zeke gasps like I'd just shaved all the hair off of his poodle.

"Did you just chug a beverage?" He asks in disbelief. He expression looked like he just watched me punch his grandma.