Chapter .24.

R-E-N-E-S-S-E

My pulse picks up as I read the message on the glowing screen.

"I've heard that you didn't want to come see me Renesse, don't you trust me anymore?"

"What does it say?" Aiden asks from across the counter, his voice tense.

I look at him. The number can't know that I've found Aiden already. I need to know what it wants from me. Maybe this was all connected to how he lost his memory in the first place.

Or maybe I just watched too much Sherlock.

I slide my phone across the counter over to him. He picks it up and as he reads it I see his sharp features narrow and nearly hear the gears turning in his head.

"Whoever it is can't know that you've found me." He says tensely and slowly walks over to me.

I nod and take the phone from him. "I should play dumb. Which is going to be hard for me since I feel like killing whoever it is on the other side of this screen."

His eyes glimmer with the slightest spark of amusement before turning serious again.

"Go on then. If you don't reply it'll look suspicious." He nudges me.

My fingers hover over the keyboard.

"Why didn't you come get me yourself?"

The reply is instant.

"It would be too dangerous. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you, Renesse."

Great. Now he sounds like a Wattpad book.

I feel Aiden behind me, his warm breath blowing on my neck.

"Why would something happen to me?"

"I've told you Renesse, it's a long story and I need to tell you face-to-face. There's no other way."

"What do you want to do then?"

"Meet me."

I knew Aiden-faker would ask me to meet him. That little cunt. I wonder what he'd do.

"He's asking you to meet him. In fucking person. This is getting a little creepy Renesse." Aiden says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I know. But whoever this is, he knows a lot about our past. Your past. Maybe he knows what happened to your memory. I think it's worth the risk." I say, meeting his gaze.

"That's exactly my point! He knows so much about us. He's dangerous and you know it." His volume raises an octave.

"Don't you want to remember, Aiden?"

"I'd rather live my whole life searching for answers than not live at all, just saying," He says in a duh tone.

Am I being reckless? Yes.
Am I out of my fucking mind? Fuck yeah.
Am I a nosy little bitch who knows she won't sleep at night without knowing all the grimy details? That's me.

I stick my finger in his chest. "I'm going to find out, whether you like it or not, and come back and give you all the tea and be like BOOYAH BITCH! GUESS WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT YOU THAN YOU?!" I yell at his face.

He blinks.
Then takes a step back.
"Yes ma'am."

"That's more like it." I smirk.

"So go on, reply," He nudges me again.

I roll my eyes and text.
"When, where and how?"

"Same spot. Eight pm. You down?"

"See you there, Aiden."

What the fuck did I just fucking get myself into?