Chapter .35.

All throughout the interview, the lady with a striking resemblance to Nathan avoided my eyes.

Suspicious much?

The interview went really well, and they seemed impressed with the few ideas I'd brought with me here. Aurelia barely spoke, and just nodded when necessary.

"Miss Roid, would you please mind waiting outside? We have to make a final decision." The male interviewer says.

"Not at all. Thank you." I say and come out of the room, only to find Nathan still waiting on the chairs.

"Hey, still waiting for your mum?" I ask, walking up to him and sitting down.

He nods and sighs. Then he points to my ring finger and asks me what my tattoo meant.

The tattoo always made me feel embarrassed, but I loved it. My trident. I always had a thing for Greek mythology, and after reading the Percy Jackson series, I just had to get a commemorative tattoo. I loved the sea, and who better to praise than the sea god Poseidon himself?

"It's for my fiancé, Percy Jackson." I say, jokingly.

Nathan laughs. I love him too, best series ever. He signs.

I grin and fist bump him. I was liking this kid more by the minute.

Annabeth would want to kill you though, I'd watch out if I were you, He signs.

I laugh and shrug. "She doesn't have to know."

Nathan nods understandingly.

Suddenly, my name is called and I excuse myself and hurry back into the room.

"Congratulations, miss Roid, you're part of the Animatrixx family!" The head interviewer says.

I smile so big Pennywise would be jealous. "Thank you so so much! I won't let you down." I say, still grinning too much.

They all nod and I go out of the room, feeling like I would throw up Skittles any second. I was that happy.

Nathan sees me and stands up, smiling.

"I got it, Nathan!" I say and jump up and down. Then I realize I'm a grown-up and clear my throat. "I mean, I have accomplished my goal, Johnathan." I say and walk toward him, still grinning.

He shakes his head. This is an animation company. You can be immature if you want to. People literally roam around in Donald Duck costumes so chill. He says and laughs.

I laugh along.

Congrats, by the way, he smiles.

"Thanks!" I say, but then I see his eyes fall on someone behind my shoulder and turn around. It's his mother, striding toward him swiftly, still not meeting my eyes.

"Come on, Nathan. Let's go." She says, and tugs his arm.

He points to me and does some gestures I don't understand. His mother faces me and her thin lips stretch into a forced smile. "Hello dear, I see you've... befriended Nathan?" She asks in an unsure voice.

"Yes, Mrs Black. He's really fun." I say and smile at him.

"I'll see you around, then, we've got to get going." She says abruptly, fake smiles again and literally runs out of there like her pants were on fire. They might as well be, with all the lying she'd done. Aurelia Black? That was insane. On the bright side, atleast I'd be here everyday from next Monday so I'll have a chance to sniff out whatever she's hiding.

Then something hits me. My mum. She'd be thrilled to know I got a job here, it was her dream. I quickly dial her number and press the phone against my ear.

Her voice cuts through the ringing. "Hello? Ab kya hai?(what is it now?) Tune phir gas station ko aag lagadi kya? (did you set the gas station on fire again?)"

I laugh. The classic mom greeting. "No, and for the billionth time, that was an accident! I have some great news so brace yourself, okay?" I say excitedly.

I almost hear her raise an eyebrow. "So you accidentally also carved 'It's Nesse bitches!' into the side of a Ferrari?" She asks flatly.

I huff. "Mom. I was drunk! Now will you listen to me please?" I ask eagerly.

She grumbles something about me getting a beer belly and tells me to go on.

"I got a job at Animatrixx! Me!" I yell excitedly.

Then I hear the phone clatter to the ground.

"Mom! Mom did you drop the phone? Are you okay?"

I hear shuffling and then a voice, barely containing it's excitement asks, "Really?"

"Yes, really!"

"Oh my god! This is the moment I've waited for! My baby finally got what she wanted!" My mom screams excitedly.

After a few more questions about the timings and whether I was eating well or not, she ended the call to go tell my dad, probably still playing Minecraft in the background.

I sigh happily. This feeling of accomplishment seemed so alien but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I take my phone out and text Aiden.

"Yoo great news! Howz the interview going? Call me as soon as you get this, k?"

"Excuse me, Miss Roid?" I turn around to face the receptionist.

"Yeah?" I say and walk to the counter.

The man shuffles below his desk and takes out a colourful bag printed with all the popular comics and characters, with 'Animatrixx' written on it in bold black.

"Celebratory company bag. Here you go." He says and hands it to me.

"Thank you," I say and take it, examining Elsa's face on the back amusedly.

The receptionist leans forward. "It also has my number in it, in case you're willing to go out to get a coffee sometime?" He smiles shyly.

"I'm really sorry, but I have my eye on someone already. Thanks for the offer though," I say.

"Oh." The receptionist tries to hide his disappointment.

"Bye, then." I say and gather my stuff and make my way toward the door.

I step out and take a deep breath. I decide to go to Café Caffeine to tell Maria and Rico about this, since they'd prodded me so much about applying. I owed them this.

This one's for you, azlyn21
Thanks for everything.