Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

The TV is on but I'm not really watching. It's on to make the house less quiet as I work so time flies. I get too caught up in editing that I forget about time. Like now. I finished Charlotte's and Clarence's photos, also Angelina's, Kennedy's and my teacher's from yesterday. The challenge of shooting different days is that the lighting is different, the mood is different but it's not hopeless.

I made sure of that before we began shooting.

I can feel a sense of pride building as my work comes together. I only have 3 people left to shoot and one part is done; just my parents, and Jacky.

For someone who's on magazines and campaigns, she doesn't like cameras in her face. Who does, right? She gets flustered and shy, but in shoots, she awakens this whole different person; she lights this fire in her eyes that hypnotised anyone who catches her gaze.

Mostly... me. I'm that moth drawn to the flame. Simple as that, with one drawback. The girl in campaigns? That's a different girl.

And that's a challenge to take on; for Jacky to stay true to herself on camera, and for me to capture that right moment.

Before I know it, it's 7. I stretch on the sofa, feeling my pretzel-of-a-spine unravel. I twist my torso, feeling my joints crack. My eyes blur in and out of focus too from looking at the screen for so long.

That's usually a sign I've done enough. Fairly, 6 hours is quite enough.

I sigh, tidying my plates to the kitchen. I pop them in the dishwasher before taking my laptop to my room and picking up a jacket.

I step in the winter air and take a breath, refreshing my senses. The air bites my skin but I'd choose this than getting suffocated in my own house

Telling, isn't it?

~

When the bus halts at the town centre, I hop off and spring across the parking lot of Mae's cafe. I wrap my jacket tighter around me to protect myself from the biting cold. The bells chime when I enter the cafe. I let out a deep breath, relieved to feel some warmth on my finger tips but my eyes instantly search for one person.

"Oh hi, Kim!" I smile at Katelyn, the new cashier, as I walk up to the counter. "Jacky's not here yet. She should be in a few minutes."

"How did you know I was looking for Jacky?"

She chuckles, shaking her head. "You're obviously not looking for me."

"I could be looking for Mae." I counter jokingly, and she just laughs. "I'll just hang around until she gets here."

"Cool. I'll make you a coffee, then. On the house." stand at the waiting area when Katelyn comes over with a mug and a frown on her face. "You come here a lot. Have you seen that guy before?"

I turn around and I almost let my tongue slip when I see who Katelyn's talking about. Around the corner table sat Dillon with 3 empty mugs surrounding his laptop. "How long was he sitting there?" I ask Katelyn.

"Beats me." Katelyn shrugs her shoulders. "They told me he's been there since noon. Very weird."

Not as weird as a stranger showing up to my school at 8 in the morning know who you are already, asking for your girlfriend.

"Thanks, Katelyn." I say, picking up the mug and suddenly I don't know where to sit.

I turn around and spot the farthest table possible. I definitely don't want him recognising me. I start walking when I hear, "Is that you, Kim?" in a loud, deep Irish accent.

"Fuck..." I sigh heavily, slowly turning around. I force a smile and walk over. "Great to see you again, Dillon." I say unsurely.

Weirdly, he smiles at me and gestures to the empty seat in front of him. "Join me. Please. I could use the company."