Chapter Twenty Four

I jolt awake. My head in a state of panic. My homework and essays stuck to my face. I ignore the ache in my neck, shoulders, back and the splitting headache and force myself to peel my eyelids open.

9:37am

"Fuck!" I screeched, leaping out of my chair, almost toppling it over. I sprint to the bathroom.

I thought my days of being late for class is over but apparently not. God! I'm in trouble again!

My dad watched me study in his library last night because he was convinced I was just pretending in my bedroom but my brain stopped absorbing information since Jacky played her cover of Shut Up and Dance.

It was such a beautiful cover, though!

But that didn't stop him from keeping me until midnight. After that, I had to polish some of Jane's pictures our semestral paper, and that took away hours of precious, glorious sleep!

Not that it's anything new.

I don't remember what time I fell asleep. All I know is, I fucking fell asleep on my desk and my body isn't thanking me for it. I'm 18 years old but my joints are cracking like I'm 60.

"Kim!" I flinch at the loud voice calling my name. I missed first period... and half of my 2nd period. So I've been lurking outside of my 3rd period classroom, face against the wall with my eyes shut. I peel my eyes open to Kennedy frowning at me. "What the hell happened to you? You look shit— oh my god, your shoes don't match."

I look down and see what she's talking about. I wore my black Converse on my left, and my checked Vans on my right. Fantastic.

"I think I grabbed this shirt from the laundry too." I grumbled. Kennedy looks at me in disgust and reluctantly hands over her cup of coffee. Yeah, I don't even know how my brain is working at this point. "My dad watched me like a hawk while I studied... until midnight!"

Ken snickers, crossing her arms. "You look like a bull tackled you."

Shrugging, I tell her, "I stayed up until god knows when to fix the pictures for the semestral paper... also... my dad met Jacky last night." i slap on a sloppy smile as I said that in my best mock-excited tone.

I almost snorted! It sounds so fake from a mile away.

But Kennedy's eyes widen. Genuine shock. "Your dad met Jacky?" I nod, unfortunately.

"Last night," I murmured. "In Mae's cafe. Dad stopped by to get coffee from work."

"Ohh, shit." Kennedy huffed. Yep, same reaction. "So... what happened? What did he say— what did he do?!"

I shrugged calmly, "nothing." Kennedy looks at me confusedly, her eyelid almost twitching. She, of all people, knows how dismissive my dad is since I 'came out'. Hesitantly, to put Kennedy's mind at ease, I add, "He might've believed... that... Jacky is just my study-buddy."

She sighs deeply, blatant disappointment etched all over her face. She folds her arms and straightens up. "And you're okay with that?"

"Of course I'm not!" I roll my eyes and threw my arms up! "I feel awful, Ken." I admit, slamming my back against the wall.

"Do you even plan on telling your dad about jacky?" She asks in a judgy tone I do not appreciate! I glare at her. "Don't you dare look at me like that!"

"Duh! I do," I utter stubbornly. Incompletely. "when dad is ready to hear it!"

Kennedy smiles stiffly and its so uncomfortable to watch. "This isn't about your dad, Kim. Do you actually hear yourself right now?" She asks calmly but dripping with disappointment! "You sound... slightly pathetic."