Chapter Seventeen (ending edited)

I got some writing done this weekend! And a lot of it for this chapter, which is not a normal thing for me :)

Anyway, this is a pretty lengthy chapter but it's fun! I promise. I have to make up for the delay on the previous chapter ^_^

EDITED AUTHOUR'S NOTE:
Yeah, that's right I changed the end. I wasn't very happy with the original but it's not a big change too, just the scenario has changed...

Also, I'm sleep deprived and usually that's when I get my best ideas, unfortunately.

So yeah! No need to reread the whole chapter, but be sure to read the new ending so the next chapter makes sense :)

"I can't believe you got me into doing this again." Veronica turns around when she hears me complaining but she just smiles. I turn around to the stylist who were pinning the loose bits of fabric so the clothes fit me better.

"You're complaining, but you agreed to do it anyway." Vee says, laughing. The stylist tells me she's finished and ushers to the end of the line up. We're starting in a few minutes and I'm starting to feel nerves like no other. "Kim told me you did the same for Allyson's son. Is that true?"

I nod, crossing my arms but the tightness of the jacket around my shoulder made it very difficult. "It was for a school charity. But the scale of this show, Vee— I don't even think I should be here!"

"Shut up. You have every right to stand on this stage as much as anyone." She tells me, putting her hands on her waist like a stern mother. "It's about time you do, anyway."

"You know I gave up on the runway side of the job." I admit, exhaling a heavy breath.

Vee's face hardens when she turns to me, "Let me guess; that's what your agent from Savina's engraved in your brain?" she huffs, shaking her head. "Jay, Savinas clipped you before they even gave you a chance."

"I don't think that's that." I say silently say to keep Vee from hearing. If she did, she will explode!

My last runway was last year, same year as when the picture was released. Convenient, huh? It caused a big slump in my career. I was up for large-scale campaigns & photo shoots, magazine features and brand deals, but I never got to do them. They were always given to someone else, and I end up getting the smaller jobs. It hurt because they built you up so high, only to drag you down all the way to the bottom.

My mom told me maybe something fishy was happening behind closed doors, but I didn't listen. What was important to me was that I was booking jobs, albeit not the best ones, but at least. I guess I should have opened my eyes a little wider. Because I didn't, look where that got me.

Since leaving Savinas, I tried to redeem a career I worked hard for, to prove to them I can do it without their help.

It's not always easy to get back to where you left.

I turned to Vee, "They were right." I mutter sadly, "Not a billion runways can save my career, Vee."

"You don't need a billion runways," Vee exaggerates, making me smile slightly. "You just need a memorable one. And... maybe this is the one for you."

We hear a loud clap and that ended my conversation with one of the stage managers yelling, "All right ladies! Look alive! We're starting in 1 minute!"

Vee and I both turn, facing towards the front. We're the first two in the line up so we hear everything that's happening behind us. My experience is subpar, but I always remember the feeling. Your heart beating so hard against your chest, your legs shaking. How you walk, how you perform us a pivotal moment that can stir the path of your career.