Chapter Twenty Two

Wow I suck.

I know I promised a regular update, but i have reasons why it took me a month... it was hard for me to write this chapter, and you'll see why.

I had written stuff and took them down, changed them and rethink this chapter (and maybe the whole story) all over again. I was stuck in a rut but I like to believe I made it out this time.

Besides, I also had stuff to do for my volunteer place. I'm really sorry I know it's not the best excuse, but I hope you all can forgive me!

I'll stop making promises because they will only lead to disappointment... but hopefully next update won't take as long as this one!

I'm very very sorry!

22

When we left Nadia's at around 7pm earlier, Jacky asks me what I wanted to do or see first since the open mic doesn't start until around 8pm. We had a lot of time to kill so Jacky dragged me on a bus, me not really knowing where we're going but I trust her. We've been on for about 20 minutes, and the whole time, she tells me about her meeting with the boutique owner.

"She made it really hard not to say 'no'," she opens up, "I just don't know if I can balance that kind of obligation with school because it's a huge responsibility. I mean, look at Vee. She's flying to some new state every other week. I can't do that when I'm in school."

"You did pretty well before," I tell her but she just smiles and shakes her head.

"I was homeschooled then," She points out, moving me to the side as more passengers pile in. "It was a lot easier to juggle both. This time is different... unless I move back here."

If she moves back? The thought puts me in a sad mood. I don't know what school will be like without her, or the town— even my life! Her eyes linger on mine for a moment, and the way she casts her gaze on me with the soft smile growing on her lips made my heart skip a beat.

Is she thinking the same?

She sighs heavily, shaking her head. "I don't want to do that right now."

Oh, thank god!

"What did you tell them?" I ask her, my voice quivering but I was relieved when she shakes her head.

"I didn't say yes... I didn't say no either," she clarifies cause here I was thinking she already chose to do it. She laughs humourlessly, leaning heavily on the rail. "I didn't think I would ever say this but I'm very conflicted right now; choosing between college and a career... it's hard. I always knew what I wanted before but now? I don't know."

God, I know how that feels; conflict. That's been my whole life and it didn't hit me until applications for college drew near. Jacky's case is just a little different with career and education on the line, and pushing away something she loves doing, in exchange for doing what is the norm for kids our age. I don't want her to to do that, but it's her choice.

"Well, whatever you choose..." I start, and her eyes flick to me. "I'm here for you. As long as it makes you happy."

A smirk forms on her lips, and I just know she's about to say something ridiculous! "So... let's say if I choose to become a drug dealer—" I scoff, rolling my eyes. See that? I knew it. "Actually, I'm not going to think about that tonight. I'll push it aside, sleep on it and hopefully it will be easier to decide on in the morning."