Chapter Nineteen

I know it's slightly short, but I guess we need a break from long chapters once in a while.

If I can't update anymore before the 25th, I want to greet you all a very Merry Christmas! <3

19

I open the door. She steps outside, going one step down before she turns to me. We're exactly the same height now and it's so much easier to look at her this way. Also, the way the early morning light just beams behind her makes her look so heavenly. "Are you ready?" I ask her.

She smiles but she looks weary at the same time, and that worries me. When we woke up this morning, i asked her if she will be okay going to school today. For sure, that picture has circulated to the entire student body, and knowing the nature of this school, a lot will be waiting for her. It's controversial, and a nasty form of entertainment, but this is high school. She just gave me a very vague nod, so I asked her again.

"They can't destroy you the second time with the same tools, can they?" She says, her eyes flickering under this morning light.

I shake my head slowly, easily getting distracted from her leaning closer. "I won't let anyone do that." I say through a breath. I grab the door handle behind me. I know exactly what's coming next so close it, just in case my aunt or my mom leaves the kitchen and catches us outside.

We kiss briefly, but in that brief moment, I felt what she was trying to tell me.

She's still scared; scared because something that hurt her is flagged in the one place she thought could make her feel safe. I'm just hoping my brain is over exaggerating things again. I don't want to do or say anything drastic to anyone who steps out of line either, because I just might. I don't want any idiot giving her a hard time because she's been through enough!

I went back inside when Jacky has left. My aunt and my mom turn around when they hear me coming through the halls. They both look... very amused. I frowned as I pass them to pour myself a cup of coffee, when my aunt spoke.

"Did Jacky sleep comfortably last night, mija?" I nod, muttering a 'yeah' casually at my tía who just smiles as she drinks her coffee. "Your mom thought we would bring you some extra pillows last night, or the extra folding bed from the guest room."

"She doesn't really mind sleeping in the same bed with me anymore, tía." I say, and as soon as I did, my eyes widen. Fuck, I didn't even think about that. Anymore?!How did that even sound?! "Ugh, crap." I whispered, mentally punching myself in the face!

"Anymore? When did sleepover?" Although she sounded a bit indifferent, I can sense my tía's smirk waiting for my answer.

"Uhhh..." I wheezed, feeling beads of sweat about to fall from my forehead. "a few weeks ago, I think— when you and dad went to London?" Just my birthday, big deal. I scratch behind my ear nervously but it's not really a lie, right?

Luckily, she shrugs it off.

"Well, it's a shame she can't stay for breakfast," My tía interjects and I'm glad she did! "She seems like a lovely girl. Right, Noelle?"

The way my aunt said that made me smile. Can she sense it or something? Maybe it's just me. After spending hours talking to Jacky so openly, my mind hasn't come down from cloud nine.

"Oh, she's great, Lorrie. She helps her aunt run the cafe after school, stays after hours to help clean up. She's very sweet." She turns to me, "I want your first girlfriend to be like that, Kimberly." Mom says.

"Okay, Mom." I murmur.

She laughs at my stupid surprised reaction as she picks up her work bag. "Darling, if you're going to date someone, date someone as kind as you are; no one less."