Chapter Thirty Seven

I had a bit of a block after ch. 26. I wrote this chapter then took a break from it because I wasn't happy with what I was writing. I'm also thinking about a lot of directions this story could go and it just cluttered my brain.

I ended up writing one scenario of where these characters end up in the future. And i had so much fun doing that that I got carried away so I wrote 4 more 🤣

Chances are, it won't make it into this story anyway (or maybe it will, we don't know) but it was so fun imagining where these characters end up and it got a load off my brain. It was just a little creative exercise.

I highly recommend this to anyone experiencing a writer's block. Sometimes it happens when we have so much we want to include in the story. But doesn't really work sometimes. Tumblr writing prompts was very helpful too.

Give it a shot! It's a fun little creative exercise.

Enjoy this chapter!
.
.
.

KIM'S POV

It's 8:30 in the morning. For the first time in my life, I am here before the bell rings. Jane wanted us to come in early this week to get some yearbook tasks done because we don't have formal classes yet. But since it's only the 2 of us here, and we're waiting for our junior members, I've been digging my nails into my palms the last 10 minutes, anxiously watching as Jane scrolls through my photo story. The shoot I did with Jacky was 3 days ago. The days in between I spent editing and setting the photos up to form a cohesive storyline. I've been sleeping 3 hours every night, Jane covered my 2 shifts at The Alley, and my vision is foggy for staring at my laptop screen for so long.

I think I'm ready to submit, but I needed an outsider's perspective. Jane's probably not the best person because she knows my concept and style too well. She can critique the technical stuff. I trust her opinions when it comes to photography more than anyone.

My nails are digging into mg skin from the nerves. Dents are starting to form on my palm. Every time Jane shifts, I flinch. I don't know if she's going to say something, but so far all she asked me was how I got the colour balance uniform.

"Jesus Christ, Jane, I'm going to shit myself," I groan, throwing myself in the empty chair next to her. She shoots me an annoyed look for disturbing her, "You're not done yet?"

"Will you calm down, Kim?" She jabbed, turning to my laptop screen. "No one's here yet. I'm going to give them hell for that later, but we have time."

"Yeah, time is not what I'm worried about, Jane. It's you sitting in total silence!" I ramble, running out of breath.

Jane just shoots me an indifferent look, not really caring about my nervous rambling, and goes back to looking through my story. I sigh heavily, getting up. "Well, if you're not going to say anything yet, I'm going to my locker."

She just waves me off, not looking away from my screen. I can't help but snicker as I walk out our office. That's a good sign, right? I shut the door behind me and wander the halls for a couple of minutes instead of going straight to my locker, feeling the realness of leaving this place in a couple of months. In September, my first day won't be in these halls anymore— it can be New York City if everything falls into place.

How different that first day is. It hits me how different everything's going to be. My aunt did say how big your life changes after high school.

As I walk down the hall, I run into Stephen and Isabella, two members of our team with their heads down, almost scurrying through. They look up and jump when they see me.