Chapter Twenty One

HELLO! Happy New Year to everyone! The festivities were too much for me... I ate waaaay too much since Christmas... had too much wine... and I just recovered from all that food this Saturday!

So that's what I've been up to. Just started writing again last Saturday. Heh. That explains the delay, huh?

Hopefully, my updates are regular now... that is if my work doesn't interfere as much :-|

Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

21

I wake up to incoherent conversation. I didn't open my eyes until someone shook my shoulder and instinctively, I swat them away. I almost forgot I flew to New York City this evening because I almost freaked out when I looked out the window and didn't see the suburban houses of Old Town. Instead, lavish 4-storey brick buildings stretch across the entirety of the well-lit street, block after block. We have these buildings in Old Town too, but these are more... urban.

"Yeah, I'm up." I muttered, responding to Jacky before I sit up and stretch my arms in front of me. I feel huge relief when my joints crack from sitting in a traffic jam for 2 hours!

We get out of the cab and take our suitcases from the trunk before heading in the building. The halls are very hotel-like; narrow but lavish-looking, carpeted but a little grubby and dimly lit too. There are halls branching out from the main hall.. I'm busy getting my mind to adjust being awake too ask, so I let Jacky lead the way. She turns to the left hallway, and up the stairs without any hesitation.

"Here we are. Apartment 23." She says, taking the keys out from her backpack. While she opens the door, I hear her mumble, "Its been forever."

"Do you know who lives here?" I ask her. She gives me a subtle nod before she opens the door.

"An old friend— more like family, actually." She tells me before walking in.

I stop I hear pattering of feet inside. Then I hear a high pitched yell, "Jay-Jay!"

"Hey, buddy! Did you stay up waiting for me?" I hear her beam. Curiously, I push the door slightly more open, and the sweetest scene unfolds before me!

My heart swells, seeing Jacky tightly embrace a little boy. The little boy wraps his little arms around her neck with a wide grin on his face. She spins him around and he lets out the cutest little giggle.

"Did you miss me?" She asks with the brightest smile on her face. The little boy nods, touching her face and she chuckles when he kisses her on the cheek.

"You don't play with me anymore." The little boy pouts, making me laugh. That's when he turns to me, his eyes widen but I can tell he's confused. "Who is she?"

She wraps her arm around my waist, pulling me closer. "She is my very special friend. Kim." She smiles at the little boy who's still looking at me funnily. "I'm sorry, Kim. I forgot to tell you this little boy stole my heart first. Right, Finny?"

I can't help but laugh when Finn wraps his arms around her again protectively, squishing their cheeks together. It's so cute that they're so close. I smile, playing along. "I'm sure he did! He's a handsome little man." I say, smiling at the little boy.

She laughs, nodding her head. Finn smiles so adorably, cupping his tiny hands around Jacky's ear. Jacky laughs as the little boy curls shyly, hiding his face behind her neck. "Okay, I'll give her the message, Romeo." She puts him down, "Now, go get your mom."

We watch him run to the first door. He disappears for a moment, but I hear him say something along the lines of 'She's here' and the mention of a 'friend'. Me.