Chapter Five

There is no doubt Chicago is one of the United States' most beautiful cities. The architecture is amazing, the art and culture in the city is always alive and it's home to one of the country's most iconic sculpture, open for everyone's viewing pleasure. It's no doubt Jacky wants to see it. For someone who's new in the state, it's one of those things you shouldn't go home without seeing.

She asked me if I ever tried being a tourist in my own city, and the answer is a plain no. Sure, I drove around he city plenty of times. Usually, it's on the weekends when mom needs to get to a gallery early before opening and I drive her. Sometimes it's picking up something from my dad's office, or waiting for mom to finish work late at night.

On those nights I'm usually just walking around in Millennium Park. It's always been just there, and something new happens everyday in this part of the city. Nothing stays the same. One night there's a giant cinema in the open field, the next night there's a stand-up comedy taking place. Plus, it's a big enough city where you don't encounter the same faces within 3 days.

Tonight, there's a band playing some old acoustic music. Every person of every age surround the makeshift stage, the sweet mellow sound echo through the walls of the massive skyscrapers surrounding the park. They contain the sound so it fills the whole open space.

I love this place. Of all of Chicago, this is my favourite place.

Jacky and I walk around the park, her hands in her jacket, her chin towards the sky as she looks around her. The atmosphere is very calm, almost romantic. We pass by a few pairs, either holding hands or walking hip to hip. It's hard not to just take Jacky's hand and walk beside her as close as I can, but that could be off-putting and could turn this painfully awkward.

But I still wonder how that would feel; my fingers intertwining with hers.

"This place is beautiful." She says, turning to me for a brief moment. Her brows furrow in confusion, spinning so she's walking backwards to face me entirely. "Did you say that this was your favourite place in the city?"

I nod, a smile creeping on my face as I revisit the memories. "It is," I admit to her. She nods her head, curiosity is spread all over Jacky's face, waiting for me to continue.

"Why?" She asks.

"My grandparents used to take me here. Usually my grandmother." I answer her. "They visited all the time from California to look after me because my parents were so busy." Jacky walks beside me closer this time. I try not to be too conscious of our proximity. "I was their only granddaughter— only grandchild, actually. Most of my childhood they looked after me until my grandad passed away, and my grandmother followed him shortly. Died in her sleep. Mom said her grief from losing grandad was too much for her to handle."

"That's crazy," She says, chuckling trying to diffuse the tension. We reach the platform of the Bean. Jacky sits on the steps and I follow promptly. "I didn't know you were so close to your grandparents."

Unconsciously, my fingers flew to the pendant on my chest. I trace with my finger the elegant curve of the letter 'C', a small memorabilia from my grandmother.

"I haven't seen a married couple love each other as much as my grandparents loved each other." I mutter unconsciously. "They had so little but were so lucky in so many ways." Saying that, I can almost picture out my grandparents' face how I remembered it. I always wished they could have lived longer, but what could I have done?

"That's beautiful." I hear Jacky say. It was her voice that snapped me out.

"Man.. I don't know where this is coming from," I muttered, my face turning bright red. "What do you think?"