Chapter One

What was your senior year of high school like? Or rather: what were, or are, your expectations for senior year? Did you want to play the best game of your athletic career before going into academia in the following year? Did you finally gather the courage over the last 3 years to ask out that crush you had since freshman year? Did you spend 3 years of trying to discover who you are, and feeling hopeful and confident you'll be able to find that in your last year? Or maybe you were one of those dorky kids in freshman year who suddenly had a major glow up when you reached your last year, so you're planning to get back at everyone who laughed at you when you asked them to prom?

If you ask me, my expectations over high school went from 100 to 0 came senior year. What I learned is that I expect too much in my life, and I beat myself up every time the plans don't go my way.

So tell you what: this year, I'll let the universe take the reigns, and I'll just ride with the tide.

~

Most of my work nights go like this; disgusting shoe fittings, heavy bowling bowls and four hours of enduring the painful screams of "victory" from overreacting teenagers, or insane middle schoolers who prefer to use their bodies to knock out the pins instead of the actual balls. I admit, it's not a very glamorous part time job, but it helps pass time and you get paid for it.

    "Kim!" I jumped at the sound of my own name. "Enough with polishing those balls, I need you to do cover a shift really quickly because someone called off sick tonight."

    That would be Claudia, my boss. She's all right, not very harsh but can be super annoying when one of her staff members call in the last minute. I worked with her since I started here, and she has this humiliating big sister quality about her. Now, I'm an only child. You'd think I'll be saved from siblings who are constantly embarrassing me, but that was all until I met Claudia.

    I put the balls down on the rack and stuff the rag in my back pocket. "I think I know who that person is." I remarked above all the shouting and the thudding around us.

    "We both do," Claudia walks around the counter and waves me over. "I need you on booking and cashier duties. I know it's boring but the bright is, none of the male customers will be looking at your ass all night, or making stupid innuendos about polishing balls."

    Both Claudia and I laugh as I log in to the register with my details. "Yeah, its just my boobs now that they'll be looking at." I remarked. Claudia clicks her tongue and teasingly pinches my elbow slightly. I shrieked and jumped away, laughing. "I got it, Claud. Don't worry."

    "Oh hi, Kimberly!"

    I poked my head up from looking down at the screen and smiled as convincingly my face would allow me. I knew I recognised that shrill voice from somewhere. Right in front of me is one of the sneakiest bitches in town. She looks well innocent and sweet, but little do they know.

"Charlotte... Hi." That didn't sound very genuine, actually. "Sorry, Ryan's not around at the moment." Why would he be? He doesn't work here anymore.

    She lets out this annoying fake laughter as she flips her ridiculously gorgeous hair out of her face. "Why would I be here for Ryan, Kimberly?" She asks me, batting her eyes at me.

    "Charlotte, I know you're screwing Ryan. You're not exactly being discreet." I remind her. With that, Charlotte didn't seem very affected by that comment. In fact, it makes her even cockier, I think.