Chapter Thirty Five

Hi hi! I really appreciate everyone's patience waiting for this chapter. It took time writing this chapter in between my classes and coursework, so thank you for sticking around.

Must have noticed this is labelled 'On Hold', and it might be like that for a while simply because my upload schedule is very uncertain and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. Not necessarily because I stopped writing this story.

I'm still here :) and I've been reading for leisure again it feels AMAZING.

I advise anyone who is in college or university, even high school, to put down the textbook once in a while and pick up a really good book that brings you joy!

Anyway, I hope everybody's 2021 is going all right, hopefully better than last year.

Here's a little recap from where we left off:

Tension between Kim's after the Christmas Eve party. Her dad explodes during the Christmas family dinner, and walks out. Jacky deals with some family stuff herself.

.
The days after Christmas never felt so long. A lot of waiting, and watching; dreading the worst, and remaining positive was the greatest challenge. Grandma and Grandad have never been so worried. This was very uncharacteristic for dad not to contact anybody for days. They cancelled their flight and refused to rebook until dad comes home.

I realised how much I didn't know my father. I couldn't think of a single place where he could be, or what he's doing. Sometimes I can't stop thinking that it was my fault. Each day, I felt guiltier.

As much as I want to believe it was the right thing to do for me, it was wrong for the family.

It wasn't until late at night on the 28th. I started to doze off while waiting, when mom and my aunt stood suddenly, ripping the curtains open. Our porch lights light up.  "Oh my god." Mom gasped as she scrambled to get to the door.

Dad's car parked in the driveway, unharmed. That's when I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding.

For someone who disappeared for days, he looks exactly as he left apart from slightly disheveled hair that usually kept neat but the remnants of our last row returns, overwhelming every emotion I have. Dad is not the type of person who forgets. He looks my way and I could feel the sharp gaze pierce me, making me want to shrink until I disappear. I never felt so small.

I felt sick as I tear his gaze away to look at my mom, continuing a serious conversation. Whatever it's about, I'm not supposed to listen because my aunt tugs me back inside. That doesn't stop me from worrying.

"Will they be okay?" I ask my aunt, peering through the window.

"They'll be fine, mija." Even my aunt's tone sounds unsure. "I just thought they'll talk better on their own, you know?"

I swallow hard, nodding to agree with my aunt.
"Are you okay?" She returns my question.

My aunt takes my silence as an answer, and doesn't press me to explain. "Its been a long night. Get some rest, Kim." She pats my shoulder assuringly. "I'll go let your grandparents know he's home." She changes the subject before walking up the stairs.

I imagined things would be different, but not this way. I peek through the curtains and watch my parents stand in the driveway, talking. Just talking. But there's a look on my mom's face I have never seen before – the look of someone refusing to show any kind of reaction.

I knew my family was not the close-knit, affectionate kind. I always wondered why, and thought there was something wrong with us but I always assured myself that's just how we are. Even when mom and dad fight, I knew they'll be okay. I've seen them fight, I've heard them yell at each other.