Chapter Fifteen

I'm sorry for the late update! In the last 48 hours, I've been on the road for 14 so I couldn't write that much.

But here's the update! Sorry for the wait.

JACKY'S POV

"Whoaa! Look at that! She's a pro!" I can't help laughing at Veronica as she cheers me on like a maniac.

It's hilarious cause she's in a bowling alley, wearing a very body-con grey dress, looking like a very sophisticated lady and she's screaming at the top of her lungs and dancing really awkwardly. This is just how we became friends in New York.

"Did you think I would lose a skill I developed for two years after a month?" I ask jokingly, "You have very little faith in me."

"Oh, no." Vee laughs as she picks up her next bowling bowl. "I just hoped I get to beat you at least once, Jay."

I shake my head, laughing. "There's no way." I taunt her but she just grins and makes a running start for it.

I didn't have a lot of friends then. It was just me and my mom until I met Veronica, I don't know, 2 years ago? I don't let a lot of people in my life, but the moment I met Vee, I knew she was here to stay... mostly because she showed no one can get rid of her so easily.

I just had Vee for a friend— a real friend, and I preferred it that way. Bowling became like a therapy for us. After long days of dealing with catty models and overly demanding clients, you have to take a breather.

Also, sometimes when you try to get close to a lot of people, that's when the toxicity seeps into your life little by little. And I don't want to waste my energy on people like that when I know I can be really happy elsewhere.

Veronica swings her arm and releases the ball. The ball knocks all the pins down. I rejoice, throwing my hands in the air. "Yes! There she is! You've been practicing while I'm away!"

Vee spins around, flipping her hair dramatically. I laugh because she walks back like she's walking a runway. With a proud grin on her face, Vee asks, "When does your girl get here? I wanna see how good she bowls."

"Oh really?" I counter and she nods as she hands me a ball. "She might put you to shame, Vee."

"Is that so?" She laughs, crossing her arms in a joking snobby manner. Then her smirk changes to a little smile. "That's why you like her so much right? Because she's so good at bowling?"

She tries to wink. I laugh because for as long as I've known Veronica, this girl can walk a runway but has the inability to wink!

"Yeah, sure, Vee. That's exactly why I wanted to date her, cause she's a great bowler." I respond sarcastically, shaking my head.

I take my next shot, running to the aisle. I stop to swing my arm, releasing the ball and it rolls rapidly towards the pin. Perfect strike! I walk back to Vee who's smiling playfully.

"Okay, well, apart from her athleticism, why do you like her so much?" She asks me, not letting go of the question so easily. "She's cute, Jay, but she's not like the other girls you dated before."

"Can't I just like someone because different?" I deflect her question, but Vee is persistent.

Not that that's a difficult question to answer. Easy breezy.

"But you don't just like her, do you?" She insists, grinning at me knowingly. "Come on. I know you. Spill. First impressions, go."

"She's super talented?" Vee glares at my answer, and I know I won't get away that easily. "She's really easy to talk to. Like, I don't feel like I need to be on guard all the time."