Chapter Four

"you're late!" Jane whispers harshly as I topple over the desks in the photography room, trying to catch my breath. I drop myself on a chair, trying to catch my breath. Jane laughs, leaning on the desk beside me. "You forgot about the meeting, didn't you?"

    "Noooo..." I wave it off but I'm not sure how convincing that was. The other members of our organisation are standing in front of the walls, looking at Jane and I, but mostly me. I haven't even met these people until today! She laughs at my response, and she rolls her eyes at me. I wasn't very convincing after all.

"I'm so sorry Jane. I'm always stuck in this stupid homecoming thing that Charlotte forced me into." I drop my bag frustratedly on the floor. "She's got me wrapped around her stupid little finger until tomorrow." I let out a sigh.

    "I know." Jane says indifferently. "It's okay, guys. You can go now." I look at them confused as the newer members start picking their bags up and heading for the door. I groaned and slapped myself on the head. Of course. I missed the meeting.

"Principal Greene told me Charlotte's been making you cut banners and making streamers." She smirks, shaking her head. "If it weren't for the principal telling me that, I would say you really are wasting your time at that committee."

    "Aren't I wasting my time already?" I roll my eyes. If I had the choice, I would have quit that committee the moment Charlotte told me I'm a part of it. "But I will be with this group at the homecoming, don't worry. I promise. At the dance, the documenting is my priority not refilling punch bowls or serving cupcakes."

    There was a silence, and Jane's face stretches to a smile. "Good. Anyway, I just told the new members their roles in the org, nothing new." She says, waving it off like it's not a big deal. "I'll brief you with the meeting in a minute."

    "You didn't need me here then." I say and Jane just shrugs her shoulders. "And you made me sprint from the gym to here, Jane!"

    She frowns at me, getting up from her spot. "Don't be dramatic. I saved you from cutting streamers all afternoon," She has a point there. Jane pulls out a folder from the drawers and holds them out for me to take. "And when I said I had something important to give you I was not playing around. Try not to scream." She drops a folder in front of me. "The principal gave me this yesterday, but I didn't see you at all yesterday. You will like this, I promise."

    I just flipped the folder open. My eyes widen because the first thing I come across is the logo of the most prestigious film school in the whole United States! I gave Jane a look and she pries me to keep going. Skimming through the letter, my heartbeat was quickening and pounding so hard against my chest. My jaw drops without even realising it, and my grin is already stretching up to my ears.

    "Jane, this is a scholarship application and invitation to the New York Film Academy." I try to say it as calmly as I can. Maybe saying it out loud will make it more realistic but my whole body is already trembling. "How did they— what—" I clasp my hand over my mouth, completely lost for words. "But I didn't submit an application yet."

    "No, no. This means the academy has heard of you," Jane tells me. "They gave me one too and when I read it yesterday, I fucking screamed, Kim." Jane and I burst into laughter. "No one was here! I was so excited!"

Jane and I both know how important this is for us. It's the New York Film Academy! We've been talking about applying for this school since we were freshmen! We bust our ass off for this organisation in hopes that the Academy will consider us as viable students. It's almost impossible to get recognised by this place, so for Jane and I to both receive letters of scholarship considerations, this is a very very big deal for us!