Mistletoe

I'd pretty much met my limit. Between my Dad, Stiles, Isaac, and all the chaos from yesterday, I was moments away from snapping. The only thing keeping me together now was sitting beside Dad while he slept.

I'd finally gotten Mom to go home, and get some proper rest, and Evan was to come back soon with books from the library. We had two priorities. One, was figuring out what this cuff was, and how to get it off. The other, was our Dad.

The Nogitsune said he'd left him a parting gift, which I interpreted in no way was a gift. He did something to him, whatever was keeping him from waking up. It'll be okay, whatever it is, he can still come back to us. Just as a Guardian.

My eyes drifted from his face, down to my red scratched wrist. I couldn't go very long without vigorously attempting to pry it off. It's mysterious purpose was racking around my head. If you were only here with me. You could explain it, help me. I feel like I'm on my own here.

"I brought as many as I could carry." Evan said entering the room. He had handfuls of different books in his hands, and more stuffed into the backpack slung over his shoulder. I barely noticed Scott beside him, I just snatched one of the books and flipped it open.

"We have more problems." Scott said hesitantly. "Stiles, he's checked himself into Eichen Hou-"

"I don't have time to worry about Stiles while my Dad is lying here because of him!" I snapped back at him. Scott was stunned by my harsh words.

"This... this wasn't Stiles." Scott shook his head, unable to believe the words left my mouth.

"It makes no difference..." I said staring back down at the book. "Just leave..."

Scott was extremely hurt, but after a few seconds he backed out of the room. After the door closed behind him, Evan glanced over to me.

"That was a little harsh." He commented.

"We're the only ones who give a damn if our Dad dies or not. We don't have time for anything else." I reminded him. "How do we know these books aren't fake too? It could just be another trick."

"Well, we didn't tell anyone where or how to get into the library." Evan reminded me. "He must've switched them from my bag at school, and these ones haven't left the library till now."

"I've been trying to figure out what that cuff does since the first time I saw it, but there's almost no mention of anything like it in any of the books I've already read." Evan shook his head.

"Forget about the cuff, we need to focus on Dad." I told him. "The Nogitsune said he left him something... but that could mean anything. We won't find out anything from these books."

"Have the doctors said anything else?" Evan asked.

"No.... I asked Scott's mom to check his charts for anything unusual, they said he had an odd amount of Phoradendron Flavescens in his system, but she said it could've been from a tea or something." I shook my head.

"Phoradendron Flavescens?" Evan asked concerned. "Are you sure."

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"I've seen that somewhere." He said, rifling through the stack of books. He finally picked up the right one, flipping quickly through the pages.

"What?" I asked, trying to see the page he was fixated on.

"Phoradendron Flavescens..... Mistletoe." Evan said distressed.

"Mistletoe- that what we used against Jennifer, but- is it harmful to us?" I asked.

"Yeah...." Evan said, his eyes frozen on our dad. "It... "

"Evan?" I asked, trying to shake something out of him. "Tell me!"

"It's poisonous.... From what I read- it can uh... it can block the transition." He choked, tears forming in his eyes.

"Block the transition... you mean..."

"He won't come back." Evan said, hanging his head down. I felt that same tug on my heart when Stiles took the pain from me, as I watched Evan's tears wet the pages of the book. This was my final blow. It felt like someone had ripped my heart out, and burned it in front of me.

He was gone.

AN: Updating a day early cause I forgot last Friday 🤦🏻‍♀️