Pain Makes You Human

"Maybe we need a little more time to get back to normal." Scott tries to tell Stiles, who seemed irritated as he tried to open his locker.

I stood on Stiles other side, leaning my back against the lockers. The lack of sleep was really getting to me, I loved the idea of a nap, but I was scared of what might happen if I closed my eyes.

"Yeah, try not to forget we hit the reset button on a supernatural beacon for supernatural creatures." Stiles said, continuing to fiddle with his lock. "There's a pretty good chance things are never going back to normal."

"He's got a point, and I'm fairly sure there's no cure for insanity." I sighed, looking down the hallway, further down, I could see Kira arguing with her father.

"I could set myself on fire and be noticed." She told him.

"Well, then you'd be dead." He countered.

"Exactly." She sighs. She turned her head our way, and saw me looking in her direction so I quickly looked away. I mean, I normally didn't eavesdrop on people like that, but I really needed a distraction from today.

"Oh, dude, your eyes." Stiles said, drawing my attention back to Scott.

His eyes were glowing bright red as he leaned against the lockers. "What about them?" Scott asked.

"They're starting to glow, put them away!" I said looking around worried someone might see.

"Wh- you mean like right now?" Scott asks confused.

"Yea, right now." Stiles said impatiently. "Scott, stop. Stop it."

"I can't..." Scott pants, shielding his eyes with his hand. "I can't control it."

"All right, just keep your head down." Stiles said, grabbing his shoulders. "Look down, come on."

Stiles pulled him into a nearby classroom and I shut the door, making sure no one saw us. I look back, Scott is ripping his jacket off, his breathing becoming irate and he backed up into the row of desks.

I tried to go to him but Stiles stopped me. "Get back! Get away from me!" Scott growled, his claws extending from his hands.

"Scott, it's okay-" I tried to tell him.

"I don't know what's going to happen, get back!" Scott said, baring his teeth at me.

I held onto Stiles' arm, pulling us back against the wall. I watched in horror as Scott lost control, he knew what was happening. So he closed his fists, digging his claws deep into his palms. Streams of blood gushing out and down his arms as he knelt down on the floor.

His heart finally calmed down and I raced to him as he fell back on the ground. He sighed, looking at the blood covering his hands, as I took one in mine, watching the flesh slowly begin to heal.

"Pain makes you human..." Scott explains.

"Scott, this isn't just in our heads." Stiles said kneeling down. "This is real. And it's starting to get bad for me too. I'm not just having nightmares. I'm having these dreams where I have to literally scream myself awake. And sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm ever actually waking up."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Do you know how you can tell if you're dreaming?" Stiles asks. "You can't read in dreams. More and more, the last few days, I've been having trouble reading. It's like I can't see the words. I can't put the letters in order."

"Like even now?" Scott asks.

Stiles stands up, looking at the chalkboard behind us. "I can't read a thing..."