When Is a Door Not a Door

"It sounds like your subconscious is trying to communicate with you." Deaton explains to Stiles.

"Well, how do I tell my subconscious to use a language that I actually know?" Stiles asks.

"Do you remember what the sign language looked like?" Deaton questioned. "The placement and the movement of the hands?"

"You know sign language?" Scott asked, surprised.

"I know a little." He nods. "Let me give it a shot."

"Okay the first move was like this." Stiles says, bring his hands up. His index fingers touch, then one moving in a rotation around it.

"That's when." Deaton nodded.

"Then there's this, twice." Stiles holds his palms flat facing Deaton, then moves one to the side and back.

"That's door." Deaton says.

"And this in between it." Stiles puts his thumb under his chin moving it forward.

"That's it?" Deaton asks.

"Yeah." Stiles nods.

"When is a door not a door?" Deaton tells us.

"When is a door not a door?" Stiles repeats irritated.

"When it's a jar." I answer. "It's a riddle..."

"You're kidding me. A riddle?" Stiles scoffs. "My subconscious wants to tell me a riddle?"

"Not necessarily." Deaton says. "When the four of you went under the water, when you crossed from unconsciousness to a kind of superconsciousness... you essentially opened a door in your minds."

"So what does that mean?" Scott asked. "The door's still open?"

"A jar." Deaton nods.

"A door into our minds?" Stiles says trying to grasp the concept.

"I did tell you it was risky." Deaton reminds us.

"Well, what do we do about it?" I ask.

"Well, that's difficult to answer." Deaton says unsure.

"No, wait a second." Stiles stops him. "I know that look. That's the 'we know exactly what's wrong with you, but we have no idea how to fix it' look."

"One thing I do know is that having an opening like that into your mind, it's not good. You each need to close that door. And you need to do it as soon as possible."

With our non answer on how to fix the problem, we left. How are we even supposed to close a metaphorical door?

I walked out the front door first, holding it open for Scott and Stiles. Then we saw headlights approaching. The car stopped next to Stiles' jeep, and Stiles' father stepped out of the car.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Stiles asked confused.

"I'm here because I could use some help." The Sheriff said approaching us. Then looking at Scott and I. "Actually, your help."

"Why us?" Scott asked.

"Because eight years ago, almost an entire family died in a car accident. One of the bodies, a young girl named Malia, was never found. There's enough evidence to have me thinking that... that a WereWolf could've caused the accident, and then dragged her body away. If you could somehow get a lock on her scent, if you could somehow help me find her body, it might provide the missing clue."

"But what if it was a WereWolf?" Stiles asked.

"Well, there's somebody out there who murdered an entire family." He told us. "Someone who still needs to be caught."