Family History

My parents had been a bit more lenient of late about the potentially dangerous and illegal activites Scott Stiles and I got into. I wasn't entirely sure why, but I was grateful. It was easier than lying and sneaking around. I didn't expect the Sheriff to jump in and recruit us though.

That part was also weird. The Sheriff asking us to break into someone's house while he distracted the owner. It was definitely something I never thought would happen.

Stiles led the way, opening the back door for us. The door let out a loud creak, and Stiles paused for a moment. He moved the door open wider, and an even louder creaking was heard. I rolled my eyes, shifting my weight to slap his shoulder. Stiles cringed, and opened the door a bit more, then ushering us on quickly.

This time, he closed the door quickly, the creaking quieter this time. We move around in the room and Stiles begins handing us stuffed animals from the bed. I take one, and press it up against my nose. It doesn't smell anything like a human scent, more like an animal.

"All I'm getting is some animal smell." Scott shakes his head.

"So am I." I confirm, putting the animal back on the bed.

"What kind of animal?" Stiles questions, looking around for more things to give us.

I hear a low growling, making me turn my head. Scott notices too, and we both look in the doorway leading further into the house. A large black dog, snarling at us.

"Dog..." I tell Stiles quietly.

"Hi, puppy..." Stiles says as casually as he can. "Get rid of it."

"Me?" Scott asks.

"Yes, you. Glow your eyes at it, something, be the Alpha." Stiles says eyeing the dog worried.

"I can't. I don't have control." Scott tells him.

"Kara..." Stiles says, his voice growing more panicked.

"Okay- okay...." I said taking a step towards the dog.

The dog snarled louder, as I leaned forward. He opened his mouth, I assume to bark, and I let my eyes illuminate. After a second, the dog let out a small whine, before retreating back down the hallway.

"Thank god..." Stiles says, moving towards a bookshelf. He grabs two books, handing one to each of us. "Here. Try that."

I just look down at the cover, not even bothering to try. This room was covered head to toe in the scent from that dog. "Anything?" Stiles asks.

"All I'm getting is that dog." Scott says disappointed.

Stiles took one last look around the room, his eyes landing on a framed picture of two little girls, the older one was supposedly Malia, and the other one, her younger sister. Stiles pulled out his phone, snapping a photo of the picture. Then the three of us retreated through the back door.

We waited outside down the street by the Sheriff's car, waiting for him to come back. Finally after a few minutes, he came out, and we met him halfway.

"I'm sorry." I apologized. "We tried as hard as we could. If it wasn't so long ago, we might've been able to do it."

"It's okay. It was a long shot." He said glancing down at the dirt. I felt so bad. He spent so much time in the dark about what was going on around him, and now we can't even help him out. "In fact, it was a pretty terrible idea. I think I just ripped a wound open in that poor man. I never should have brought you guys here. I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for trying, all right?"

"Yeah.." Scott and I nodded.

"See you at home." He glanced at Stiles before climbing inside the squad car.