Lock Down

I was on my way to Chem, when Scott had caught up to me in the hallway. It was still a tad awkward between us, no matter how hard I was trying to act normal.

"Hey." Scott sighed, as he matched my walking pace.

"Hey." I said with a small smile.

"Do you think maybe we should, I dunno... talk? About us? Later today?" He asked hopefully.

"Yea..." I nodded. "Course. I just didn't wanna, push too fast- or anything."

"It's okay." Scott smiled. "So did I."

"So, uh... Is everything okay, with Evan?" He asked, trying to change the subject.

"I think so." I said unsure of myself. "He probably found some new stuff about Were Panthers. Our Dad just told us to be careful, with what we share with you guys."

"I can't believe there was a whole library under your house." He said.

"Why? Doesn't everyone have one?" I joked.

"Hey!" Stiles and Lydia came running down the hall towards us. "Where the hell have you guys been?"

"In class...." I said with an obvious tone.

"The police are leaving." Lydia said panicked. "Why are they leaving?"

"The police?" Scott asked, the both of us sharing a look with Stiles.

"They must have cleared the building and grounds, which means he's not here." Stiles said.

"Who? What are you guys talking-" I tried to get some basic information from them, but Lydia interrupted me.

"He has to be here." She insisted. "That sound... the buzzing i've been hearing? It's getting louder."

"We can't let the police leave." Stiles said. "It's Barrow. William Barrow, he's the one who blew up that school bus full of kids. He's here, somewhere."

"Well then why are they leaving?" I demanded.

"I don't know." Stiles shook his head.

"Stall them." I told him. "If we can get Barrow's scent, we can smell him out."

"He escaped from the hospital." Stiles said. "They've got to have like, uh, a bedsheet- or a gown- something with his scent on it!"

"I'll call my mom." Scott said, pulling out his phone.

Scott's mom got here pretty quickly. We met her at the exit door to the parking lot. Scott let her in, while I kept watch a few feet away.

"You got it?" Scott asked. She holds up a bag, and Scott takes it from her. From here I can smell a faint bit of blood. It should be enough to smell him out.

"Promise me you'll be careful?" She asks. "I looked right into this guy's eyes, and it was terrifying."

"Yeah. Okay, mom, I promise." Scott says after a moment. I glance over, seeing Scott give his mom a kiss to her forehead, before heading back my way.

"I still don't see why we need their help." I said to him as we made our way down the halls.

"They want a chance to prove themselves, and the more of us looking for Barrow the better. Doesn't mean they're in the pack." He says.

"Good." I sighed.

We make our way through the halls, and over to the entry for the basement. Once we were regrouped with Isaac and the twins, Scott started explaining and giving orders.

"Lydia thinks that he's still here even though the cops searched the whole school. But they didn't have one thing, our sense of smell."

He pulls out the bag his mother gave him, showing them a bloody hospital gown. He handed it around, one by one, each of us got a lock on his scent.

The twins went off in the opposite direction, and Scott Isaac and I. I didn't particularly trust them on their own, but I wasn't gonna leave Scott unprotected to watch them. I'm also pretty sure if Isaac went with them, he would've snapped and ripped em apart.

"So, this is how it's gonna be now?" Isaac asks as we walk through the dark basement. "We trust them?"

"Just because I'm letting them help, doesn't mean I trust them." Scott clarifies.

"Yeah, well, I don't trust them either. Or like them. In fact, I hate them and want them to die." Isaac rambles on.

"Well, if Barrow's actually here and he's got a plan, you might get what you want." Scott says taking the lead.

Less than a minute passes before the loud fire alarm echoes through the halls. Something's wrong. Scott turned sharply and the three of us bolted back to the exit, almost running into Ethan and Aiden.

"Anything?" Scott asks as we all bounded up the stairs.

"No." Ethan shakes his head.

Most of the students were almost out of the school, so we followed them out to the courtyard, where Coach was walking away from Stiles and Lydia looking particularly angry.

"We didn't find anything." I shook my head, as they approached us.

"Not even a scent." Scott said with confusion.

"It's three O'clock, so school's over. If there was a bomb, wouldn't he have set it off by now?" Stiles asked.

"Does that mean everybody's safe?" Aiden asks.

"I don't know. I just, I don't know." Lydia continuously shakes her head.