Don't Trust A Fox

They managed to evacuate all but one of the students from the buses. Some poor kid picked up the box, and was now stuck on the bus with it. We were backed up maybe a hundred feet with the other curious students.

It was absolutely nerve racking, waiting. It could go off at any moment. What was this Nogitsune playing at? What were the odds that this would work a second time? Of course we'd know what the wrapping paper would mean, so why leave it behind?

"This doesn't feel right." I shook my head, biting my lip anxiously.

"What do you mean?" Evan asks.

"It feels- too easy!" I growled. "It feels like we're doing exactly what it wants."

"So, what? This is just a diversion?" Ethan asks.

Finally, Deputy Parrish comes to the front of the bus, putting something dark and long up against the window. It was a name plate, it read, Sheriff Stilinski.

"That's exactly what it was...." I shook my head.

It was too late.

We were too late.

It reminded me of what Cora said to us just weeks ago. All you really do is find the bodies.

I should have seen this sooner. We couldn't have gone faster to the station, but it didn't matter. The explosion destroyed Stilisnki's office. We arrived in the chaos, and I could already tell there were many dead and injured.

"Get me an ambulance here at the Sheriff's station!" Stilinski yelled into his radio. "We've got an explosion! We've got multiple officers down! Multiple officers down. We need an ambulance ASAP, on the double!"

One of the first things that caught my attention was Deputy Andrews. He was lying on his back with burns on his arms, and shards of glass and wood covering his chest. He and his wife watched Evan and I so many times when our Dad had to work extra late shifts.

I dropped to my knees, horrified. I could see in his eyes, through the pain, he knew he was gonna die.

"Oh my god..." Evan choked, seeing him lie there.

Stiles kneeled beside me, his eyes tearing up. "Can you do something?" He begged. "Take his pain? Anything to make it easier?"

I nodded, holding back the tears so badly. I took his hand tightly, and ripped his pain away. I felt weak, but it didn't matter to me. I had to take his pain, maybe he could last long enough to get help.

His breathing quickened, and in just a few seconds his body went stiff.

"No...." I shook my head, trying to take more pain, but there was none left to take.

I gasped, letting go of his hand. He was dead. I- I was just holding his hand and now- now he's dead....

"Go, go!" Stilinski ordered us.

I couldn't move, my legs wouldn't allow it. I lifted my hands to cover my mouth, then I noticed them stained with blood and dirt.

"The Oni, they're coming..." Kira said, looking out the window.

"We have to go!" Scott said, pulling me from my feet and dragging me outside.

I tried to wipe some of the blood off on my clothes, but my hands were still bright red. There wasn't time to wash them, we'd gone straight from the station on our way to the animal clinic. It was closer than Scott's house, and would keep out the Oni for a little while.