Chapter 31.

Phew.

"Thank you?" I shrugged.

"You aren't gonna have it? Where's yours?"

"I'll re-heat mine up after you're done."

"No you won't." He bluntly replied.

"I'm sorry?"

"I said you will not do that. Let's share from this. If we need more than we'll re-heat and share. I've read that heating it again isn't good. Then why unnecessarily do it when we have an option?"

"But I'm fine with th-"

"Whatever. Come on, sip."

He nodded at the bowl. I held the spoon with a hand, blew some air and quietly sipped. It really had turned out to be delicious. Just like Catalina used to love it. I couldn't help but let out a sad laugh.

"What happened?"

"Catalina. She loves this recipe of mine."

I blew air into the spoon and held it out to him. This time, without any sighs or groans, he quietly ate it up. Both of us could sense that there was some kind of tension surrounding us, but neither of us dared to speak about it. It felt better this way.

"You miss her?" He spoke after gulping.

"Is that even a question?" I smiled and had the soup.

"Do you think she'll be able to handle it?" I brought the spoon to him and he sipped.

"I really hope she does." Sip.

"What about Alex? Will we be able to hide it?" Sip.

"I hope we do. I mean, it will be hard but we have to do it...for her." Sip.

"Won't your life be all lonely now? Without her in an apartment?" Sip.

"Honestly, that's what I've been trying to avoid. But I'll have to do it." I shrugged sadly.

"Don't worry. I've got you." He kept his fractured hand on mine. I looked down at the entwined hands and noticed that we had finished the soup.

"Well the soup is finished. I'm pretty full. You want some more?" I asked partially trying to change the conversation.

"Nope. I'm done as well."

"Sure?" I mean, what if he's saying so because of me.

"What does sure mean? You wanna check it?" He spread out his arms and thrust his abdomen forward as if asking me to touch.

"Umm no... I...trust you?" My cheeks heated up. He chuckled and crosses his arms again.

"So what will you do now?"

"I'll bring some clothes from my apartment. I think I'll just sell all other stuff up. I will be here for a week so I'll find an apartment till then. Why should I uselessly pay rent, right? Besides, the furniture is already pretty old. We had bought it second hand."

"Okay and you'll do it all by yourself?"

"Well who else?''

"Take Barry with you. He'll help."

"I don't think that's necessary."

"Do you remember what you had said on the stairs?" He asked making me frown. "Sometimes it's better to take someone's help." He mimicked a female voice and it came out all squeaky. I could not help but let out a laugh.

"Go. Take him with you." He smiled. The smile was visible more in his eyes than lips.

"You'll take care of yourself?"

"What am I? One?"

He does acts like one.

"No..."

"Just go." He kept an assuring hand on mine. "Call Barry."

I took the phone out of my pocket and called him which he picked up instantly.

"Miss Greene? Everything alright with Mr. Ainsworth now?"

"Oh yes..everything's fine now. I needed your help actually." I fumbled with my waves. "I'm leaving my apartment so I want to take the stuff out and get it all sold so-"

"I'll help. Where might you be right now?"

"At Mr. Ainsworth's."

"Give me five minutes and I'll be there."

"Thank you so much Barry." I smiled.

"It is all my pleasure Cookie." He let out a laugh and hung up.

"He'll be here in five minutes. You need anything?"

"No. I'll just sleep now." I adjusted the pillows for him to lie down.

"Goodbye!" I shut the door gently behind myself and made my way downstairs.

***

"God Barry! I don't know how to thank you." I thanked him as we reached Mr. Ainsworths' place.

"You don't have to. It's all my job." He shrugged.

He had been such a help today, helped me with moving all the furniture, stacking all my books in the boxes that are lying behind us in the car, bringing the truck driver along to transport the stuff I'm selling.

As I was about to ask about his wife, I was cut off by a call. He picked it up and his expression changed to that of happiness mixed with some thrill.

"Okay! I'll be there." He cut the call with a wide grin on his face.

"My wife! She's in labour." He clutched my shoulders out of joy.

"Woah! Congratulations! You should rush then." I grabbed his hands that were on my shoulder in a friendly manner. "Let's hope it's a girl as you wished."

"I don't care! I'm gonna be a father!" He yelled.

"Calm down there." I laughed. "Congratulate her on my behalf."
He helped me carry the boxes of books, clothes and food articles into Mr. Ainsworth's living room even when I insited otherwise and then practically skipped out of the mansion.

I grabbed the boxes of books and clothes two at a time and  carried them upstairs to the room they'd provided me. After three rounds, everything was set in the room. Then came back down and arranged the food supplies in the refrigerator. Finally having done with work I scrolled through recipes to decide what to make for dinner.

I came over a delicious looking oven baked lemon chicken recipe. It wasn't much oily and hence healthy enough for him to eat. I had also brought chicken back from my apartment so there's nothing to worry about. I dashed into the kitchen to get the dinner ready.

However, this time I tasted the food before taking it along with me and also took two plates along. To avoid the....tension.

~