You open your mouth several times wanting to say something but you always find yourself choking on whatever words you seem to find. Your hands are in your lap, your fingers playing nervously to cope with the stress you're feeling at the moment.

"We want to talk about some wedding stuff." Shawn says as he realises you need a little help to begin with.

You watch as Manny turns into a wide smile and you can see the happiness in his eyes almost immediately. You love how excited Shawn's father seems to get by the thought of Shawn marrying you.

"How is it going? You're making progress with the planning?"

"Yeah, I think we're getting close." Shawn reply, looking to his side to find your eyes. You nod in agreement but you remain silent next to him.

"We talked to the priest last week and we've booked the hotel we went to see a couple of days ago."

"Oh, that was a beautiful place." Manny interrupts. "I loved the flower theme they had going on."

"It was beautiful." You agree, your cheeks feeling like pure fire. "Exactly our taste."

"Yes, I could picture you two lovebirds getting married there." Manny nods, taking a sip of his glass of water.

"So the thing we need to ask you about..." Shawn begins, eyes falling to you.

He finds your hand under the table and gives you a slight squeeze. You nod at him while forcing a deep breath into your sore lungs. Manny leans back in his seat, waiting patiently for either of you to speak.

"Well as you know, I don't have much family. My mum's kind of in and out and my dad has never really been around." You stumble over your fragile words, eyes flickering to avoid all contact. "And you know... I've really struggled with that during the wedding planning because well... Weddings are supposed to be spend with your family... And-"

The words roll off your tongue but the ache in your heart grows into discomfort, you feel your cheeks heating and suddenly, you're unsure of what to say.

"You're doing great, love." Shawn assures you, his hand sliding to your knee to give you a comforting embrace.

Shawn might not fully understand what it was like growing up without a stable family, without a dad when he's had the best one he could ever ask for. He doesn't always get the things that make you insecure and he definitely doesn't always understand your reaction to some things, but he does, with his while heart, wish for you to feel like a part of the family.

"You know, I've felt so welcome in your house. You and Karen have been really good to me since I started dating Shawn and I'm really grateful for that. And I don't know much about families or how they function but seeing yours really makes me believe in a good family dynamic."

You're not sure where you're going with this or how it will turn out, but the words blur from your mouth without your control. Your eyes flicker to Manny's and you force down a breath as he sends you a smile.

"And I really want that. I want to be a part of that and I hope to be a part of it when I marry Shawn."

You can tell Manny wants to speak, but you don't allow him. You need to get this off your chest as soon as possible and from the way he nods at you, you think he can tell.

"I wanted to ask you, Manny. If maybe you would walk me down the aisle?" You heart stops for a moment. "I don't have anyone else to do it and I would really like it to be you. You may not be my father but you're the closest I get to one. It would really mean a lot to me."

"It would mean a lot to me too, dad." Shawn joins.

Manny stays silent for what feels like forever while you hold your breath uncomfortably.