Chapter 40

All the preparations of food made were neatly and creatively spread across a few tables. They had beaten the crowd and got there early to get the best possible spot to set up shop. Malaya had made placement cards for each delicacy that was present and they adorned it with flowers. Although the looks of each meal would have been enough to draw the crowd the flowers gave added touch. Everyone was ready. They all had their aprons, boxes and plates were neatly stacked, they had separate pans to stash the cash, different tasks were assigned, the happy face was present and the customer service skills were in full force. It was a race to the finish. Seeing who would be the best at getting customers and selling the most of the item.

The crowd started to roll in. They wandered about enjoying each other's company. It was a happy time indeed one to be thankful and grateful for. One and two persons stop by to sample their items. Things were going slow and Malaya started to have doubts about this being a success. She had to hold a grip of herself and shook the negative thoughts from her mind. It seemed as if she wasn't the only one harboring doubts her mom was as well. But being on the optimistic side she put on a bright smile knowing that tonight will be a success and their table will soon be cleared out. So patiently they waited and watched as more persons began to arrive. It was still a time for them to enjoy themselves as a family. They engaged each other in conversations and their laughter lighten the air.

Customer after customer began to pile over to their table. It was no longer a race since the three of them couldn't quite keep up. Malaya saw Chris arriving with his family and after giving a quick wave she called him over to help. His parents didn't mind because they knew that Malaya's family was like Chris' second family. The four of them worked tirelessly attending to the customers who couldn't get enough. All the delicacies seem to be of interest but the sorrel, eggnog and pudding was at the top of the list. Since it started to get a bit chaotic at their table they had to urge persons to join lines based on what they were ordering. Soon the table was all cleared out. They had a reserved stash but it was time for the tree lighting ceremony and nobody wanted to miss it. So the shop was closed for recession.

Everyone made their way over to where the gigantic tree stood in all its glory for all to see. All phones were out recording, taking pictures, on live or simply just sharing the moment with a love one who couldn't make it. The countdown began, as they all waited for the big moment while their phones and camera was out. As soon as they hit ten, the tree boasted with all the bright lights that adorned it along with the flashes from the cameras that added to the experience. Everyone was in awe at how magnificent it looked and how it brighten up the town. They began to sing a few carols before it was time for the festival. The melody and harmony was wonderful and heartwarming.

Soon everyone began to make their way inside the huge town building where the festival was being held. The seats were being filled fast. But since Malaya and her family were on duty they sat to the corner around a table where the desserts laid. Chris had ditched his family fully to join Malaya and her family as well as the food. They sat cozying up as the planned items were taking place. Chris had his arm around her and she leaned into him as they watched the acts being performed. Malaya felt the atmosphere changed but had no idea why. But then she saw someone entered in a button up shirt and pants.

Her heart began to race as he approached her table. She closed her eyes and opened them again but he was still there and had gotten even closer.

"Hello Malaya".