Chapter 39

The week flew by quickly. Malaya kept checking her phone hoping that she would hear from him again but she didn't. Well that's what she wanted wasn't it. Although as much as she did it still hurt that he didn't keep trying. Chris and Malaya had spent more time together, going for lunch and taking walks in the park among other things. Today her family and his along with other community members were going to the tree lighting ceremony and festival in the heart of the town. Everyone looked forward to it every Christmas. It brought everyone together and gave them a chance to communicate which they didn't get to do often because of their busy schedules.

Malaya was helping her mother bake since she planned to sell at the ceremony tonight. It was a way for her to make extra cash and to promote her culinary skills. Malaya worked on the sorrel and brownies her mom worked on the fruit cake, pudding and pie, while her dad worked on the eggnog, wine and the gingerbread. Everyone had their hands full as they prepared for later. It was always an amazing feeling when they worked together as a family to bring about something special and homemade. The aroma filled the air as different spices blended together along with the baked goods. It truly smelt and felt like Christmas and Malaya was glad she chose to come home and spend the holiday with family. There was no better time than family time. She just wished Malachi was still a part of her life so she could bring him home to meet her family. Sadly that was not the case and instead of dreading on the past she busied herself with the tasks she was given.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Malachi spoke through the phone ordering his personal assistant around. She was told to get his car ready as well as his travel bag so he could leave at one in order to attend the event at six. The journey was about 3 hours long and he wanted to relax a little when he got there before attending the event. There was some business he had to take care of so he got right to it. He got the secretary to push back meetings and reschedule where possible since he will be gone for a few days. For the remaining hours he was on his phone and laptop. As the clock struck 1 he got up went into the elevator and rode down to the first floor. He walked to the entrance and went to the car that awaited him. His assistant wasn't needed so he told her to stay and take care of business in his absence.

The journey was a long and uneventful one which he was thankful for. There was no accident hence there was less traffic but still enough to make one angry. To bid time he went on his social media page where he browsed through his feed. He had been missing out on a lot he realized. So he decided to catch up on as much as he could. It also helped him to keep abreast of what his son was up to. The younger generation just love to put their entire life story out there for everyone to see. As usual he kept partying with his friends and changing women as often as he cut his hair. Malachi wondered where he got that from. Such a bad influence he was.

The rest of the journey flew by in no time. Guess what they say is true that once you are occupied time just pass you by. He got into his hotel where he sat his bag aside and sat. There was a table with complimentary food on the house and he didn't wait a second to even read the card he just dug in. besides he had gotten so many there was no need to read it when he could already tell what it said. Afterwards he went to take a quick nap since exhaustion took over. Besides he wanted to have all the energy he could muster for this evening. Because something tells him that this would be an unforgettable event and he couldn't wait to see how it would unfold.