Chapter 13 - Office

Malachi lifted his head and looked at her. She was a beautiful girl he thought even though he didnt get a good view since she was looking down at her lap. After a few minutes she finally looked up at him and blushed. And he was right she was gorgeous. That was odd he thought she looked vaguely familiar like he have met her before. He continued to rack his brain to try and remember from where. Malachi looked at her once more when she yelped. He could see the sense of realization on her face and his eyes widen. She seemed to know him as well. Malachi tried to look past her lack of make-up and examined her from head to where her body was hidden by the table.

It dawned on him that she was the woman he met a few days ago at the bar. She looked different now though more prim, refined and innocent. He couldnt believe what he was seeing or what his brain was telling him. This couldnt be her could it? He asked himself.

No it wasnt her, he finally said in his mind and stick with that.

He asked for the documents and quickly scanned through them while looking at her over the edge of the folder. He couldnt ignore the fact that she didnt meet his gaze. After he was finished looking at the documents he rested the folder on his desk. Then leaned back into his chair and folded his arms. He examined her and couldnt help the way his gut was telling him that something was definitely off. However he shook it off as him reading into the situation too much.

So tell me a little about yourself, Malaya is it right? Malachi asked politely.

She looked up at him and said yes to the part about her name. Then she answered his question. She didnt go into what was on the paper but, more so about what she thought he would want to know. And most likely would be why she thought she deserved this scholarship. My name is Malaya, Im 20 years old, passionate about biology, especially biochemistry. Im hardworking, determined, purpose driven and a high achiever. I pride myself on my reputation of following through and meeting deadlines. My dream is to graduate from college and have a good life in the near future. But with my current financial situation that is proving to be a problem. Which brings us to why I am here Malaya ended her summary of describing herself.

Malachi looked at her. He was amazed at how fast she changed from being the shy girl that was blushing to serious and professional woman. Somehow he didnt understand her fully and she intrigued him. With just that one question she had proven her worth to him already. He didnt need to question her further and he didnt want to either. Because he hated these kind of stuff. It was a wonder he did these types of things on a daily basis. He sat up and leaned forward while never breaking his focus on her face.

I just need you to make sure that when you get this scholarship you would maintain a high grade and the scholarship will be yours. Is that reasonable? Malachi questioned.

Yes! Yes of course, Malaya responded happily.

He smiled as he saw how happy she was after hearing the good news.

One more thing, Malachi said.

She turned her head to look at him as she waited for him to go on.

Do we know each other? he asked a bit curious.