#20

having to abandon or mercy kill sole

- dogmeat

I don't believe Preston would ever abandon the Sole Survivor, unless it was for the good of humanity. Let's say the Minutemen were fighting against a power greater than ever known and an injured Sole got in the way. Preston would recognize what he has to do, but wait for the general's consent to take action. Without a reply, Preston would try his hardest to find a way to save Sole while still doing what's right. Of course, sometimes there is no way. After the fact, the only thing on his mind would be that if the survived, would they forgive him?

Strong would have no problem here, just as Sole expects.

Cait understands the intolerable pain Sole is going through, and would not hesitate to give them the sweet release of death. This time, however it would feel different.

Danse really can't make a decision without thinking about the Brotherhood. The Paladin side of him understands that every knight puts their life at risk on the battlefield, and that turning back to save them could jeopardize the mission. However, the side of him that is Sole's companion desperately wants to justify saving them. In the end, he'd hesitantly and mournfully leave them to die. After the fact, however, is when the emotions really hit him. His world is filled with dedicated Brothers and Sisters, yet the only person he could ever comfortably talk to in these times of grief is now dead.

Piper would abandon the Sole Survivor under the impression that they can find a way to get out of anything alive. In the past, Sole has been so resilient that it seems impossible for them to die. She'd wait for them in safety, terrified of having made a grave mistake.

MacCready would give Sole words of encouragement, even convincing himself that they'll survive. After the Sole Survivor is dead, he'll feel a sort of déjà vu, having lied to someone he cares about.

Codsworth really has no reason to abandon Sole, but as for if they were asking for a mercy kill, then a Mr. Handy's got to do what he's told. After confirming to him that this is what they want, the demand would be met with a "Yes, mum," or a "Yes, sir," and the bot would be making his way back to Sanctuary alone with his aching little mechanical heart.

X6-88 would resist, as he has tasked himself with protecting Father's Mother, but if there was no other way, he would fear nothing more than a scolding.

Curie would mercy kill Sole procedurally, as if they died of old age. They would feel little to no pain. Of course, this would only happen if she could properly diagnose them as already dying.

Deacon would only abandon Sole if he ABSOLUTELY had to...I don't even know if I can imagine it. It would probably all be an accident, unless your Sole made some pretty bad choices (in which case he'd be left with a empty, disappointed sort of his regret- not about killing them, but about ever recruiting them.)

Hancock would try to crack a joke about how dramatic Sole is, until he realized how much pain they're actually feeling. For a bit he'd be in denial, probably making more sarcastic remarks until it gets to the point where he can't even support them. Trying not to cry, he'd have no choice but to walk away and let them die peacefully, cursing the very idea of lifespans.

Nick would first try to cheer Sole up with jokes and encouragement. He'd stay calm for a good while, as he's certain there's a way to fix this. Once Sole reaches the brink of death, he'd feel confused. He'd check in them, to which they probably wouldn't answer, and with his expertise, he'd know what he has to do. As composed as he may look, he'll have to add this to the list of things he regrets.

Best Fallout Headcanons