➫ #52

sole having a moral crisis due to defending their family (aka notorious pre-war gangsters) by creating false evidence/alibi's in the past

+ haylen, desdemona, glory, maxson, sturges, & gage 

PREFACE

Sole looked at the body in front of them and immediately turned away. They usually didn't have this kind of response after having to kill someone who was out for blood. The body was that of a random thug, wearing stereotypical mobster clothing, and that was just the thing. It was the clothing Sole used to see on her brothers and father. "I can't do this anymore." Their companion just reacted with a very confused look on their face. "What is that supposed to mean? "
" I'm turning into my damn brothers and sister." Sole sighed and looked at their companion who still had the same puzzled look on their face. " My family ... you most likely have heard stories about them. They were some pretty notorious gangsters back in the day. Bank robberies, extorition, a headcount. I turned my back on the family business killing-wise but I defended them in court constantly, false alibi's, corrupting evidence. I'm the reason they never got caught. I always said it'd be the last time but there was always a next time. And look at me now... I'm no better than them, am I? "

Cait

" I get whatcha doin' now. Ya think that because they were gangsters you're gunna turn into one as well. Is that it? " 

" You don't think that it runs in my blood to kill after all you've seen from me? Besides, I defended them all the time."
" ... ya know what my family was like. What do ya think? Am I lookin' like an abusive son of a bitch who'd sell their own kid yet? Or is that somethin' that shows up after some years?"
" Cait I didn't mean it like..." Sole immediately felt dreadful about bringing it up to her. They completely blanked on what the implications of their words and doubts would mean to her.
" Ya wanna know if you're automatically like yer parents, brothers or sisters? When I figure it out I'll tell you."
" You never defended their actions,I did."
" Ya never killed anyone did ya? Ya look'd after yer own. That's more than my folks did for me. " 

Glory

" Wow ... that's one hell of a youth you must have had. " 

" They did some horrible things and I never did anything to stop them. I single-handedly enabled them to keep on doing what they were doing." Piper's eyes were on Sole's and she didn't let them escape her gaze. 

" The world has become a different place, you kill to survive. So do I. Those were some very bad people. "
" But the lines blur. I don't see them as people. I see them as things in my way. Their faces don't stick, I'm turning into them. I can feel it. I'm an inch away from kickstarting what they did. "
" Okay, then I recommend you leave now and never come back." That startled Sole.
" Excuse me?"
" You've heard me, if you're so bad then get out. Stop dealing damage to the commonwelath by taking out serial killars, exposing corrupt mayors and recovering kidnap victims. "
" Those things aren't bad stuff."
" Nice to have you seeing things my way. Now let's move on."

Piper

Piper admittedly felt some kind of concern at that news but figured the last thing Sole needed now was for her to reckless abandon Sole now. " Hey. I know what you're doing. You want to be punished for something. Don't ya think you've been punished enough Blue? You've lost every damn person you care about! " Sole shook their head.
" Look where that got me. "
" You're not turning into them. You have compassion and strength and you use it to help others. These people were damn serial killers. You're putting an end to the murders. I haven't seen you kill for no reason yet. Besides, we don't have a functional justice system and nearly all excuses for politicians we have are corrupt. If you can put an end to murder sprees and kidnapping guilt-free I believe that's fair. "
" Is it? Does killing someone make this world better?"
" The old world? No. This world... you've got no choice Blue. But you're doing the right thing now. Believe me, I'd have kicked your ass a long time ago if you didn't."
Sole looked so defeated, it broke Piper's heart. She pulled them into a hug.
" For what it's worth, I won't let it happen Blue. I promise."