Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

She was about to say something when her phone buzzes. "Damn it. I forgot it's my uncles birthday." I sigh helplessly, resting my chin on the cold table. "Look, Kim, you're talented. I know you'll come up with something. I really have to go. I'll see you tomorrow. Ken."

She pats Kennedy's shoulder before leaving but she's too distracted by her phone, grumbling to herself, to acknowledge Jane. I can just leave her here and she won't even notice? No, that's cruel. I look over to the counter, wondering if a third cup of coffee will kill me. Today turned out to be an extremely long day, and not even two cups of coffee can revive me.

So I wonder if a third would be effective or would kill me? Add insufficient sleep to the equation too. Thinking about last night's exhibit presses a heavy weight on my chest. It should be a great memory; the disappears were amazing and mom did a great job... but that's not what comes to my mind when I think about last night. Instead, it's the ugliness. Speaks volumes of my dad's disappointment, and it's so painful. I should stop... but how? Sure, work distracted a lot today but it came back the moment I left the Alley.

"You're not just going to sulk there and watch your relationship burst into flames, right?" I ask Kennedy who just rolls her eyes at me, which is ironic, I admit. Especially coming from me right now.

My phone vibrates on the table and I pick it up.

Jacky:
Is it too late to ask you out tonight? :')

Suddenly my heart leaps, bringing a small smile to my face. This girl. Trying not get giddy from one text is impossible!

'Never... I really want to see you. I'll come by your house?' I hit send and it didn't take long before she replies.

Cheeky, I know.

Jacky:
Actually... I'm in the city... pick you up?

'Stay there. I'm on my way.' I hit send. I turn to Kennedy to inform her I have to go too, but she's ahead of me.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Kennedy asks suddenly, peering over my shoulder. "Oh, I see. You're leaving meee... sad." She fakes being hurt, making me roll my eyes.

"You're not even talking to me!" I put out and she just pouts pleadingly.

"I can't believe you're leaving so you can to get some." She jokes, a small smirk forming on her face. I scoff, trying to fight a smile forming on my face and Kennedy winks mischievously.

~

Jacky texted me the address. She is still in the city, but it wasn't hard to find her there. At Winter Wonderfest; a yearly Christmas fair that's put up at Navy Pier. Last time I went there, I was 8 and I always had the time of my life! There were a lot of games and rides, but I don't know anymore. I haven't gone in years.

It took a while to get there, but Jacky's there. And I want nothing more than to see her. Especially tonight when things aren't so pretty.

So when I see her by the entrance, a wide smile stretches across my face. She's standing patiently, leaning against the wall and scrolling on her phone. Well, I thought.

My phone pings with a message from her.

Jacky:
I'm right outside

I didn't try to reply because I was already walking—running— to her. I mix with the crowd so she doesn't see me... at first. Her eyes widen when I throw myself at her. I can't stop myself from kiss her, not really caring who's watching right now. I just know I miss her, and I need her. Jacky laughs lightly, gently pushing me back.