Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

And just like that, he felt like he was one step closer. "I'm seeing their name a lot in the market now. Do you know anything about them?"

"Ermm. A pretty solid family, yeah." Karl utters, distracted by the documents he's rereading that he begins enumerating from the top of his head. "Hugh Holliday is the CEO, he acquired his Economics Degree from Oxford University at age 19; his wife, Colleen Callery, is a lawyer he met at university and heads the legal department of the company . Umm... parents— very well respected retired Ministers in Trade and Foreign Affairs. Hugh's son, Dillon, recently graduated from Cambridge with a degree in Economics as well and is Vice President of the company. Not a single dent in their reputation. It's very impressive, frankly."

That's when it hit him, "Hugh Holliday doesn't have a daughter?"

Karl shakes his head, his eyes still glued to his screen and taps away mindlessly on his computer. "Not that I know of. He does have a sister, but she doesn't work for the company which is odd because it's a very inter-family business. Everyone in the higher positions are either between them, or cousins. Why do you ask?"

That's odd, Julian thought. "No reason." He utters but after knowing this, he knew he won't sleep the entire flight. "Don't worry about it. Forget I asked."

~~~

KIM's POV

Defeated, I throw myself back on my chair and listen to Kennedy ramble. Well, she needs to get it out of her system somehow, and this looks like it's working for her. It all started when she marched in Mae's cafe, complaining about her new manager but the actual source of her sour mood cane through, eventually; her... minor... fight with Veronica.

I'm so occupied these past couple of days, Kennedy and I barely talked! Apparently, she's been occupied too but not in the best way, aka some relationship issues.

"No!" She thunders, looking at Jane with a  murderous gaze. "I am not calling her. I never make the first call!"

"Oh, calm down! It's not Jane's fault. Ever thought about devising that rule?" I ask slumping over the table as I watch the steam rise from the cup, which got Ken rolling her eyes at me. "Well, someone has to make the first call! That's how phones work, Kennedy!" I retort, but I'm too drained to argue.

"And the main tool that helps long distance relationships survive?" Jane interjects but...

"I'm not fucking doing it." Kennedy declares, slamming her hand on the table, making me jump. "It's not my fault. She can call me."

"Bummer. In in one ear, out the other." I tease Jane, making her laugh.

"She'll figure it out." Jane waves it off, standing from her place and picks up her bags. Both of us came from work, came here to talk, and show Jane my photo story for NYFA. The deadline is creeping in. i got nothing but asking for Jane's advice usually helps. That was until Kennedy came. "This was a weird change of topic."

Remembering what we were talking about made me groan. "Jaaanee... what do I dooo?" I plead my friend. If she could give me a little idea booster...

"I don't know, Kim," she shrugs, looking at me apologetically. "We don't have the same kind of photography style. Plus, I know it's hard cause you haven't done on a photo series in a while. I did love your old ones! They were really good. Maybe recycle them? Take them a little bit further?"

"Yeah, that's what this one is." I admit to her, showing her the pictures on my phone. "Falls flat, right?"

She winces slightly. She said it's not too bad, but it's not great either. I feel like she's only saying that so I don't feel bad. We both know the result is crap.