Chapter 73

Christmas in Virginia was a hit.

They'd spent most of the day at Trey's Grandma Rose's house. It was a cozy colonial that she'd purchased in the 1950's. Shae secretly loved that most of the women in Trey's family all owned homes. Most of whom had purchased their land long before Trey became famous. It was instilled in her from a very early age to purchase a sensible piece of land and invest.

She'd purchased her townhouse when she turned twenty-one and while her friends were running around clubbing, she was building her future. Now most of them live in apartments and they hate it. Some enjoyed apartment living, and that was fine, but Shae love owning her little townhouse and she was proud of it.

As it turned out, Trey was right. Shae and Ms. Rose got along like milk and cereal. Shae enjoyed spending time with her, and although Ms. Rose told her to stay out of her kitchen because she was a guest, she did allow Shae to dry the dishes while she hand-washed them.

Ms. Rose reminded Shae of her grandmother. She was soft spoken but not to be messed with. They spent some time giggling but wouldn't tell anyone what they were talking about. Trey was ecstatic that his two favorite girls got along so well.

He wouldn't have ever imagined that just before New Year's Eve shit could have gone so far south.

***

They'd decided to extend their Virginia trip after Christmas. Everything was going so well, he just wanted to keep up with the momentum of the holiday spirit. So when his grandmother sent him off to the store with twenty dollars and told him to bring her back her change, as if he were still a teenager, he just smiled and said, "Yes Grumma."

Imagine Trey's surprise when he got to the cashier and saw Tanaya walk in. What the hell was she doing in Virginia? And especially around these parts? The a grocery store was not far from his grandmother's house and he'd never taken Tanaya there, but when she spotted him, she looked very happy to see him.

"Hey daddy, happy holidays."

Trey looked around before taking her by the upper arm and dragging her outside.

"Don't call me that. The fuck you doing around here?"

A frown crossed her pretty face and she twisted her lip up at him.

"What, you think you own Virginia? Maybe I'm here to see someone."

Trey nodded. He wanted to slap the shit out of her but he shifted the eggs his grandmother had forgotten to his other hand and took his keys out of his pocket. Tanaya followed on his heels.

"Wait! Since you're here and I'm here, can we get together?"

Trey turned so abruptly she almost ran into him.

"I told you back in Atlanta. You and I are over. Stay the fuck from round me Naya."

Trey hopped in his car and slammed the door so hard he was surprised the glass didn't shatter. He pounded the stirring wheel and wished he would have stayed at the house.

***

When he returned, Shae noticed that Trey was in a funk. She initially tried to get him to talk, but she eventually left him alone. When he asked her to take a ride with him she obliged.

They rode around seemingly with no destination. Trey held her hand and stroked it with his thumb as he drove with the other. He seemed content not to say a word and taking the hint, Shae just looked out at the scenery and wondered what Vickie and her kids were doing. She felt bad for missing Christmas, but she'd given Vickie gifts for the kids before she left.

When Trey pulled onto the long driveway, she knew they were back at his mom's house. He gave her hand a light squeeze before turning off the car and coming around to open her door. Once inside, they said in front of the TV staring at some home makeover on HGTV, but not really paying attention.