Chapter 72

Trey sang along to Christmas songs that played on just about every radio station. He truly put some of the original artists to shame. Shae sat on the passenger side and scrolled through her social media wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. She posted a photo that she took while out on her walk this morning. Her red sweater really popped.

@shaedae12: Merry Christmas! Enjoy your holiday season. I miss my bitch! @BostonVick. #itaintaboutthegifts #hugsomeone #sendanolivebranch #tistheseason #loveyall

Shae went back and forth from texting to answering DMS. Her fingers froze when she received a DM from Aubrey.

 Her fingers froze when she received a DM from Aubrey

@champagnepapi: Extending an olive branch. I miss you. Merry Christmas love.

Why does he do this to her? As soon as she forgets he ever existed, he sends some simple message that she feels like she needs to decode because he's the king of speaking in code.  And why is he standing in front of a Christmas tree? He's Jewish for goodness sake.

He had officially succeeded in putting her in a sour mood and she had just a few minutes to pull it together before meeting Trey's grandmother. She looked at the photo again. God he looked good. Shae rolled her eyes and turned her phone all the way off.

But really, Christmas day?

Just then, "Someday At Christmas" by Stevie Wonder came on. Shae loved this song. She tried to ignore Aubrey and his mind games by losing herself in the song.

"Someday at Christmas there'll be no wars, when we have learned what Christmas is for. When we have found what life's really worth, there'll be peace on earth."

Ugh. There goes that. Now she felt guilty for wanting to scratch his eyes out with a rusty spoon. She changed the channel. This station was playing "Happy Christmas War Is Over" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Shae tuned out the lyrics as Trey drove over a bridge. The traffic was almost nonexistent and John Lennon's voice lulled her into a peaceful state. The children in the background were helping to get her back into the Christmas spirit when John sang the next line.

"And so this is Xmas (war is over)
For weak and for strong (if you want it)
For rich and the poor ones (war is over)
The world is so wrong (now)"

Shae frowned. This song is really miserable when you think about it. She reached out and shut the radio off with a loud bang.

"Damn baby. What's up?"

"Nothing. I'm just sick of Christmas music."

"Well you better fix your face and that attitude because Grumma plays all the Christmas songs religiously."

He looked over at Shae who slunk down in her seat and sulked like a child. Trey was silent until they got off the bridge then pulled over into an empty lot.

"What is it babe?"

"Nothing."

"Umm hmm. And by nothing you mean what?"

He watched Shae's face go from sulky to sad.

"I'm okay Trey."

"Baby, you are clearly not okay. And I'm not taking you to see my Grumma when there's obviously something wrong with you. She'll think I did something and I'll be damned if I get blamed for something I didn't do. Do you want to go back to the house?"

Now she just felt bad. Shae turned her face to the window and silently curse herself and Aubrey for allowing him to mess with her head. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before turning to Trey.

"I'm okay really. Holidays just... freak me out," at least this was true. She patted Trey's cheek and lightly rubbed her nose against his. "I'm...sorry to concern you. I love you, let's go."

He smiled and softly kissed her lips.

"I love you too baby. See how communication works? That shit fixes almost everything."

Shae nodded even though she disagreed. Sometimes communication fucked shit up beyond repair.

***

Aubrey saw that Shae read his DM but she did not reply.

He pulled lightly on his beard and looked up when his bedroom door opened. He smiled as his father, Dennis, entered the room.

"Hey son, am I interrupting?"

"Not at all, what's up?"

"Well, I just noticed you've been quiet lately. Is everything okay with you?"

Aubrey sighed heavily and shrugged, "Yeah, I guess."

"Oh I know that look. That son, is the look of women problems."

Aubrey smiled at his father's receptiveness.

"Yeah. But, I'm not doing to let it ruin our holiday."

Dennis smiled and stood up.

"Well if you need some advice you know where to find me. You know I know how these women think."

"Oh you do?" Aubrey laughed.

"Yeah boy, how do you think I pulled your mama?"

"Aye!" Aubrey threw an empty water bottle in his father's direction. "Don't talk about my mother like that."

Dennis peeked back into the room when the coast was clear. He smiled and pulled the door closed when he saw Aubrey smiling out of a nearby window.

Mission accomplished.