Chapter 47

I woke up feeling warm and well rested. Surprisingly, I didn't even have a headache. I went to roll over and felt arms tighten around me. I panicked for half a second then realized that Trey probably came back up with me after the club and was in here snuggling again.

I placed my arm over his but it didn't feel like Trey's arm. I looked down to see a smooth tawny arm with a chocolate brown birth mark on it.

Aubrey.

The panic came in full force. I shakily slipped out of his grasp and stood up taking in the sight of him. He was a lot more lean than the last time I saw him. His skin was tanned to almost my color, and his beard was fuller.

How the hell could he look even better than he did in New York? Life on road must be great for the body.

I ran my hand through my hair trying to smooth it out and think at the same time. I remember going to the club with Trey and probably drinking too much but I don't recall letting Aubrey in.

Why was he here? What the hell was he doing in Atlanta when I saw online that he was in the middle of Houston Appreciation Week.

I tiptoed into the bathroom and washed my face, brushed my teeth, and combed my hair. I looked in the mirror and realized I was only wearing panties. Shit!

I grabbed the robe on the back of the door and stepped out to find him propped up and rubbing his eyes. I stood there silently, hoping he'd go back to sleep but he soon set his gaze on me.

Neither of us said anything, but I swear I could feel myself being pulled in his direction by some unforeseen force. I took a tiny step forward and stopped.

He stood and my eyes fell on his hard body. He was only wearing a pair of boxer briefs that clung like a glove to his morning wood. I watched him stretch, adjust himself, and make his way over to me.

Yes Lawd he looked amazing!

***

I rolled over and felt the bed next to me. It was cold and empty. I lifted up on my elbow and wiped my eyes.

That was when I saw Shae standing in the doorway watching me. She looked so small in that ridiculous robe, yet seemed surprised to see me.

She took a tiny step towards me and stopped.

I stood up and stretched before adjusting my morning wood and make my way over to her.

The robe had fallen off one shoulder leaving her bare skin exposed. I was drawn to it. I pulled her close to me and kissed it before burying my face in her hair. I sighed when she finally wrapped her small arms around me and held on tight.

We stayed like that for a while before she spoke.

"I'm so mad at you," she whispered.

I nodded.

"I know."

"You... hurt...me."

The guilt hit me hard and I realized how truly stupid I've been to allow Robyn to manipulate me for so long. I rested my chin on Shae's head and squeezed her even closer to me.

I needed to hold on to something real, someone real who wouldn't use me for money or publicity. I hadn't seen as much as one photo from our time in New York appear online. She wasn't an opportunist.

"I know baby. I sorry, I'm so sorry." I kissed her temple three times not wanting her to pull away from me. "Let me make it right. Tell me where it hurts."

She buried her face in the crook of my neck and shook her head.

"I promise, I will do whatever I can to make the pain go away."

She pulled back and looked me in the eyes as of to check my sincerity. I couldn't blame her. She then covered her heart with her right hand.

I stared into her eyes before leaning down and planting a soft kiss to the back of her hand. She opened her mouth and inhaled sharply before dropping her hand to her side.

With my eyes on hers, I squatted down until I was level with her heart. I closed my eyes and pressed my lips to her chest.

I felt her shaking hands hold my head in place for a moment as she stroked my hair. Then she drop by her sides again and tried to pull away.

"Please," I held on to her waist and looked up at her. "Tell me how to fix this?"

She looked down at me and shook her head back and forth.

"Shae..."

"I can't."

I stood to my full height and held her face up to look at me.

"What was that?"

"I'm scared Aubrey. You... scare me."

It didn't compute. Why was she afraid of me? She must have seen the question in my eyes because she answered.

"You don't have to be afraid of me, of this."

I pointed between us with my index finger.

"It's crazy. I barely know you, but I can feel you...in here."

She placed her hand over her heart again. I understood all too well.

"I know that we haven't known each other for long, but I feel so close to you. I want...I need you in my life in whatever capacity you're willing to give."

She shook her head again. My heart skipped a beat. She was telling me no and backing away but I wasn't giving up.

"Don't shut me out. Please. I feel you in here too."

I took her hand and placed it over my heart and held it there with both of mine on top.

"Don't you feel it?"

"No," her voice cracked.

She tried to pull away but I just couldn't let her go. I kissed the palm of her hand.

"Yes, you do. I know you do because I feel you even when you're not there. We have a connection."

She stared at me with her lips parted, taking in and blowing out small puffs of air as if she were on the verge of hyperventilating. I gently turned her hand over and blew into her palm. She moaned and I felt myself growing in my briefs.

She didn't pull pack when I tugged her closer. She didn't talk or blink when I picked her up and carried her back to the bed. Our lips met and I moaned into her mouth. Only after I kissed her did she speak.

"Aubrey..."

"Shh. I know. I'm not going anywhere."

She ran her thumbs over my eyebrows and I closed my eyes. I had to trap my bottom lip between my teeth to keep from telling her that I loved her. I knew it was too early, too fast for that, even for sucker for love like me.

I didn't want this to end before it really began.

But I was already so far gone.