Chapter 45: Just Stay, Ok

Start from the beginning

I wonder how easy my life would it be if I wasn't part of this stupid gang? I bet I'd be much happier.

As I was stuck in my thoughts, my phone starts vibrating. I check my phone and I see that I'm receiving a call from Lauren. Thank god! She's the only person who could make me happy right now.

I go to a quieter part of the warehouse and answer.

A- Hello
L- Hi baby!

Just the sound of her beautiful, cheerful voice makes all my worries wash away.

A- Hey love, what's up?
L- Nothing much, I was just checking up on you.
A- Well I'm still stuck here unfortunately and I miss you.
L- Miss you too, Alex. Are you going to make it in time for our midnight kiss?

Our midnight kiss. It's a tradition to always kiss your significant other at midnight for the New Year. I promised her I'd make it in time for midnight. But I don't know if that'll happen.

A- I don't know hun. I'm really trying to make it in time. But the universe is against me tonight.

I can hear her exhaling.

L- It's ok, Alex. This is probably important. Just stay, ok. I'll see you in the new year, ok baby?
A- Princess, I'm still trying to get out of here. I'm not giving up. I promise I'm not.

I hear let out a breathy chuckle. Hearing her voice is the only thing relaxing me right now.

L- It's fine, Alex. Whatever you're doing seems important to keep you away from me on New Year's Eve. Just stay and finish whatever you have to get done. I'll call you at midnight, ok?

The fact that she says it's fine, I know this is really bugging her.

A- Ok, baby. But I'm still trying to get out of here in time. So I'll see you later, bye beautiful!
L- Bye handsome

That last sentence, I can hear her smiling through her words. I hear her blow a kiss something we started doing.

L- Did you catch it?

Hearing her laughing is the most amazing sound in the world.

And no matter where I am, I'll still try to catch this imaginary kiss.

A- Of course, love. Ok for real this time, I'll see you later bye Princess
L- Ok, bye Alex!

I smile at her excitement and hang up. There's no way I'm missing our midnight kiss.

"Alex," I hear Damien call out to me. I turn around and face him. Damien looks so tired. He told me that he's been having nightmares so he can't sleep at night.
"Hey kid, you ok? You look really tired," I told him.
"Yeah, I am. I slept like an hour last night. I had another nightmare," he explained with a yawn at the end.

I honestly don't know what to do with him. I feel so bad for him, but I don't know what to do.

"Do you wanna talk about your nightmare?" I asked him. He nodded and I closed the door to the room we're in. Cutting out the noise of all the mayhem.

We sit down on a couch that Aaron put in here. It's only for him, but I don't follow the rules.

"You can start whenever," I told him. I want him to feel comfortable. I don't want to rush him into talking about it. I'm gonna let him go at his own pace.
"Ok, so I've been having the same dream every night. And it's honestly so stupid when you really think about it," he said laughing. But there was no actual intended laughter. It was more of an emotionless laugh.
"Dude, I'm not gonna laugh. I swear," I said truthfully.