Chapter 18: Try Me, Bitch!

Lauren's POV
I wake up in a room and I hear a beeping noise. I turn to my left and see what it was, a heart monitor. And then I notice that I'm wearing one of those hospital gowns. Am I in a hospital?

My question was answered when I see a nurse enter the room. But what happened? Why am I in the hospital?

"Oh you're awake now, dear," the nurse said softly. "How are you feeling?"
"I feel ok, I guess, but um what happened to me?" I asked her.
"You fainted at school," she responded. Wait, what?
"I what?" I asked.
"You fainted. Wait, what was the last thing you remember?" she asked me.
"Um, I was in my AP European History class and I remember I couldn't focus," I said.
"And why's that?" she asked.
"Because all I could hear were the whispers about me. Everyone in my class kept staring and talking about me. It was distracting. I hate being the center of attention," I told her.
"Oh ok," she said. I then noticed that she grabbed a pen and a notepad and started writing something down. What is she writing?
"What are you writing?" I ask her.
"Your symptoms," she replied to me. And then the doctor walked in.
"Hi Lauren, I'm Dr. Francis and I'm your doctor. So how are you feeling, sweetie?" Dr. Francis asked me.
"I'm feeling ok. Um, how long have I been here?" I asked.
"You've been here for about two hours now," he replied to me.
"Two hours?" I asked.
"Yes, sweetie. Now I'm going to ask you some questions, is that alright?" he asked me.
"Yeah that's fine," I responded.
"So what was the last thing you remember before waking up here?" he asked me.

And then the questions went on. He didn't ask a lot, but he asked more than I expected. But it's fine.

"So, I have a diagnosis for you," he started off. "You have general anxiety disorder." Wait, what? Anxiety?
"A-anxiety? I have anxiety?" I asked, sounding shocked.
"Yes, you said that you have trouble concentrating when things are on your mind. And how you get anxious or worried about multiple things. These are symptoms of general anxiety disorder. You get anxious about anything. Your anxiety doesn't just affect one thing, it affects multiple things," he said.
"Oh. So what happened to me at school was an anxiety attack?" I asked.
"Yes. Anxiety leads to that a lot. But if you learn to control it, then maybe you'll have less of those," he tells me.
"Oh ok," I responded.
"Also, you have visitors," the doctor told me. And I knew who it would be. My girls. I know they'd definitely be here and I'm pretty sure Jackson would be here too.
"Can I see them?" I asked.
"Of course. I'll let them in," he said and I nodded.

I sat there waiting for my friends to come in. Knowing how they are, they were probably so worried.

But I was shocked when I saw everyone come in. My 3 besties, Jackson and Alex? What is Alex doing here?

"Hey Lauren," everyone said to me, except Alex.
"Hey princess, how are you feeling?" Alex asked me. It felt good to hear him call me that.
"Hi, guys. Um, I feel ok," I said. And then Alyssa came up to me and hugged me, tightly.
"You scared me to death. I'm glad you're ok," she tells me. She then started to squeeze tighter.
"I'm sorry. And Aly, I love you but I won't be ok if you don't stop squeezing the life out of me," I joked and she let go. Alyssa loves hugs. And she can hug, hard.
"Oh sorry," she apologized.
"It's ok," I said.
"So the doctor told us what happened," Angie said.
"Oh, well yeah. Apparently, I have anxiety," I said. They all smiled at me and I returned that smile. "Yeah, the doctor just diagnosed me with General Anxiety Disorder."
"Wow. That's tough," Jackson said.
"Yeah," I said.

I'm still in shock about that. I can't believe I have anxiety. That actually sounds kind of scary.

"Are you ok?" Taylor asked me. 
"Yeah, it's just, well fuck. I have anxiety. It's weird," I said.
"You'll get used to it eventually," she said. And she's right. Eventually, I'll accept it.