Why Are You So Happy

Start from the beginning

"My mom and dad divorced when I was young," N'Wad begins. "People where we lived made my mom out to be the one at fault. I feel bad for her. She has had to work hard to raise me. My father gave her nothing but our house." I can tell talking about his father bothers him a great deal. "I want to give back to her. That is why."

"Enough, nong," I stop him, "I get it. I won't push anymore. It is good you care about your mom, and I am glad she cherishes you. I want to meet her one day." I pause mid-bite after I said that. Why would I want to meet a nong's mother?

"Thanks, P'Prem," N'Wad mumbles, "I am sorry I can't go."

"It's ok," I shrug. "I am just glad you are not going because you don't feel like you belong. Tell your mother hello for me." I shake my head after those words leave my mouth. I am losing it. I look over at N'Wad, "Look, I know there is probably more to this story, but for now, I am not asking you to tell me. But I hope one day you will trust me enough to tell it to me. It is hard to carry everything around by yourself. It helps to tell someone else."

"Ok," N'Wad gives me a weak smile.

"How is studying going?" I ask, trying to change the mood. "I heard you have a Calculus exam coming up."

"Yeah, we do," N'Wad sighs. "I heard that only a few passed in your year?"

"It was more than Ai'Arthit said," I laugh. "Don't always believe what my group tells you guys."

"Ai'Kong said P'Bright failed," N'Wad goes on. "It also sounded like P'Tutah didn't pass either."

"If I tell you something, would you promise not to share it with your friends?" I bargain.

"Sure," N'Wad agrees, leaning closer to me.

"All of us passed," I tell him, "Even Ai'Bright."

"You passed this exam?" N'Wad asks.

"Yep," I grin. "Why are you shocked? Did you think I was stupid?"

"No, I didn't think that," N'Wad snorts, "But do you think you could come over and tutor me? I don't want to fail."

"Ok," I hum, "I have time tomorrow. Is that good for you?"

"Thanks, P'Prem," N'Wad smiles at me, and my mind goes blank. "I will send you my address and room number." He pulls out his phone to message me. What is going on with me? He is just a nong to me. Isn't he? What else could he be? I don't like guys. Do I? My phone goes off in my pocket.

"Ok, I got it," I say, looking at my phone and the time. "It is getting late, and didn't you say that you had an assignment to finish?"

"I am done," N'Wad stands up. "I will see you later. Thanks for the meal."

"Later," I nod. I watch as N'Wad walks out of the stall. I lean my head back, closing my eyes, and sigh. When I open my eyes, I am startled to see Arthit looking down at me. "What the fvck are you doing here? You scared the hell out of me!"

"Why would you be scared? Doing something you shouldn't be doing?" Arthit sits down where N'Wad had just been. "Did you eat with someone?" He asks as he moves N'Wad's plate out of the way.

"I was frightened by seeing your ugly face. I was eating, and I had to share a table," I make an excuse. I look around and see that the stall is full, so it is a good one. "Why are you here? This place is not close to your dorm."

"Umm," Arthit hedges, "I was bored with my local place. Wanted something new."

"I am finished," I tell Arthit, "But I can always hang around while you eat if you don't want to eat alone."