Chapter 1.2 - Robbed of their Pasts

Start from the beginning

"Go on, do not worry, I'm all ears for it."

"Well, it is about the inhabitants of this planet."

Varris raises his eyebrows as he observes her at ease, he didn't expect that kind of question. "Hu-humans? Are you sure?"

"What else do I need to learn? I have already studied most life forms on Terra. Please, you know I really want to know about these Humans as well."

"Oh no, not that, please. You know how well our uncle fared when he tried to visit this place. And with what they do to each other, do you really think they would welcome you with open arms?"

"But what if some still have good hearts? What if-"

"No", he says sternly. "You should know from everything we've seen and learnt, that this race is too violent to become part of the galactic community - even if the Zlocu don't reach the place and lose the war.

"Now all I want is for you to learn that no matter what you believe, Terra is classified as hazardous for a good reason. There is no way the Humans are going to budge even with that presence of yours. Right now, we don't want the last of us being killed by creatures worse than the Zlocu, understand?"

Amira falls silent for a moment. Perhaps humanity may never be ready to evolve beyond their normal means of functioning. 

Even so, that is something that can be questioned.

Varris watches Amira's sullen face. Maybe he was too harsh in his judgment. Maybe they deserved a second chance.

"Look, I get that you don't like this. It's just that I-"

A huge flash of lightning hits Varris from behind. The smell of something burnt hangs in the air, and terror fills her stomach. She stands rooted on her spot as the huge, jagged shape carries him away.

"Varris! Where are you?" 

Did the Humans...?

She quickly turns back and sees what happened. Her blood runs cold as Varris is dragged towards a nightmare.

They thought they could be safe for a long time.

They thought they could never be found.

I was so wrong...

Massive assault ships loom over the sky. They darken the entire creek. Nothing is visible now.

"No... NO!"

The same ship fires at her. She is knocked off balance. Instinctively, she grabs onto a lower branch with her left hand and jumps, landing in a crouch.

As soon as her feet hit the ground, she takes off, hiding beneath tall trees as she runs. Blood pounds in her ears.

This can't be happening! It can't be!

***

Fluorescent lamps give the interior of the ship a dead look. Zlocan pilots groan in annoyance as they fail to track her down, while a soldier picks Varris' body and injects light-green liquid into him.

"Are you sure this will work?" one of the gunners asks. "I'm not sure if this serum would be able to negate the psychic functions."

"The scientists never failed in their tasks to create potions and formulas that could negate any ability inherent to any creature. Especially the Soranians. Learn well and you'll comprehend the meaning of this mission."