{ CHAPTER 88 }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Sora woke up, she found herself sleeping on the floor in a small humble hut, a blanket carefully draped over her body.

With a small, tired groan, the groggy brunette eased herself into a sitting position, surveying the small house. It was a one-room hut, with the kitchen at the side and a dining room beside it.

"Had a good nap?"

Jolting, Sora sharply looked over her shoulder, wincing in pain when the sudden movement caused a throb to shot up in her left shoulder. She slowly turned her head back while massaging her damaged shoulder, groaning.

"Don't move too much," the voice said. "your shoulder was banged up pretty bad."

 Groaning, Sora gently rolled her shoulder to get used to the pain, which was now toning down. "Big talk coming from someone whose arm was literally sliced off."

When the pain was finally bearable, Sora moved from her position so that she was now leaning against the wooden wall on the spot beside Law, who was also leaning while he had his nodachi lying beside him. 

When she was comfortable enough, Sora finally noticed the sleeping figure of Luffy, who was snoring away on a bed beside the far wall. After glancing out the window, she made a short calculation and estimated that it was already nearing evening.

"Where are we?" she asked, looking around the house and realizing that there were only three of them there. "And where are the others?"

"We're in that soldier Kyros-ya's house," Law curtly replied, closing his eyes. "the others are still in the city, dealing with the damage of the island."

Sora hummed in reply, lightly creasing her eyebrows. Weren't the guys tired from the long day? Why were they still out there in the city?

As the silence settled in the room, Sora's thoughts went over towards the surgeon beside her. She took a look at him and saw the numerous bandages wrapped on his body, but her eyes particularly zeroed in on his bandaged arm. Thankfully, it wasn't all bloody anymore as compared to earlier. God, Sora felt like she was gonna have a heart attack when she first saw his severed arm. 

"How's your arm?" She asked, not louder than a whisper.

Law didn't open his eyes as he replied, "Painful, but bearable. Better than earlier."

Sora turned her head so that the back of it was resting against the wall. "So... I'm guessing you won't be needing that helping hand I offered to you anymore?"

There was a short silence before Law muttered in a quick exasperated sigh, "Stop joking about my arm, you're not funny."

Sora chuckled. "Yes, I am. Your sense of humour just sucks."

Law decided it would be best not to reply to that statement. Well, Sora wasn't exactly wrong.. it's just that the life he had been living didn't really give him the chance to crack jokes here and there. Maybe that was one of the reasons why he was extra relaxed when he was with Sora -- her laidback and chill personality comforted him at times and eased his stress.

Just when he thought the brunette had went back to sleep because of the silence that followed, she shot a question at him.

"You.. were really thinking of making this place your deathbed, weren't you?" Sora asked with a wistful look, still staring straight ahead. 

The scenes of earlier's battle rolled in Sora's mind, only deepening her contemplative thoughts. She knows when someone is planning on dying when she sees it, and when she saw Law wear that expression earlier...