{ CHAPTER 56 }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's not everyday a notorious retired pirate crosses over an ocean where most sea kings lurk around. Not to mention the fact that he actually swam across.

After exchanging a few words which included a lot of gasps, outbursts of unbelief, and amused laughs, Rayleigh was now squeezing out the water from his soaked shirt.

The rest were now back in their own businesses, Jinbei and Luffy still haven't returned, Law was lounging about while leaning against a tree, and Sora was still eyeing the old man with a calculating gaze.

"You look like you're about to murder me."

Sora mildly flinched when Rayleigh looked over his shoulder and locked eyes with her. "Do you have something you want to say, miss?"

Plenty, Sora thought, forcing herself to even her expression. Despite it all, however, all she was able to muster was a shameful "Um.... Er..."

A light chuckle escaped Rayleigh. "It seems you have a lot. Take your time." As he continued to squeeze the water out, Sora looked around to see if anyone could hear them talk. Luckily, they were busy doing something, or busy doing nothing.

The loud noises coming from the forest earlier couldn't be heard anymore, and Sora deduced that Jinbei had finally managed to calm Luffy down. That was one issue erased from the list.

"Chihaki."

Sora turned her back to face Rayleigh again, who still had his back to her while wedging his shirt. The light splatter of water hitting the ground filled the next few seconds of quietness in the sudden conversation.

"What?" Sora blurted, feeling a bit stupid.

Rayleigh didn't bother to look over his shoulder to face her. "Chihaki. Does it ring a bell?"

Sora scrunched up her face. What the hell was he talking about? "...Um, I'm sorry to break it up to you, but I don't know what you're talking about."

It was another few seconds before Rayleigh finally finished squeezing out the water. After flapping it for good measure, he turned around and put his shirt on. Looking over to the brunette, Sora couldn't exactly read his expression.

"Why don't we take a walk around the forest?" He offered nonchalantly with a kind smile he usually wore.

Sora considered his offer. Left alone together, she could make him spill the beans about the confusing things he said to her back at Sabaody. Still, it seemed rather suspicious, but she didn't have any good ideas.

"Sure."

It was quiet.

Sora expected that Rayleigh would go on full explanation once they were alone, seeing that he was the one who suggested they take a walk in the first place. But as they continued to hike deeper along this dense shrubbery called forest with nothing but the occasional whistles from birds, Sora was starting to doubt it.

Rayleigh was the one at front, hands clasped together behind his back as he strolled with a leisure pace. With his laggard gait, it was the complete opposite of Sora's edginess. She was falling a few steps behind Rayleigh, staring expectantly at his back.

"Nature is beautiful, don't you think?" Rayleigh mused, looking up at the trees.

Where is he heading? Sora's eye twitched. This guy is so confusing.