{ CHAPTER 55 }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The distant hum of machinery engines were about the only noise that could be heard in the navigation room, save for the sounds made by a person when chewing a gum.

Law, Bepo, and Jambarl talked in hushed but urgent tones as they discussed about the safest route they could take in and out of Marineford. Looking at the snail feed back at Sabaody Archipelago, it wasn't that hard to realize that getting near to Navy HQ wouldn't be easy. Then there was them escaping from the expected interference of the admirals.

As the captain, navigator, and the new crewmember discussed with a serious atmosphere, Sora didn't exactly share the same mood. The girl was at the very back of the room beside the door, leaning against the wall and with her arms crossed, wore an eminent bored look. She was the one making chewing gum noises.

As soon as the crew arrived on the submarine, Law had barked out orders at them to prepare the surgery room, check the engines and whatnot to make sure no second is wasted especially when they reach Marineford.

Sora wasn't given any orders because Law knew she'd either forget it or not do it at all. Maybe both.

So now, here she was in the navigation room, watching from the sidelines while the rest were  solemnly coming with different kinds of plans to keep them safe.

Sora managed to get herself a piece of gum earlier and was now making that annoying chewing sounds, occasionally popping the gum.
Whether she was doing it on purpose or not, that is beyond the author's knowledge.

During the short span of times when the discussion would die out, only the sound of Sora chewing could be heard. Normally, something that small wouldn't be a big matter but since the navigation room was so silent, it was as loud as it could get. Bepo and Jambarl did their best to ignore the irking sound, but it was evident on their faces that they wanted to tell Sora off. Sadly, both didn't have the guts to do it.

As for Law, well... he forced himself to pay the girl no attention.

"When we get there, Jambarl, I want you to say here after we retrieve Mugiwara-ya," ordered Law. Jambarl gave a nod and small 'Yes' in response.

In the silence that followed, Sora popped her gum.

"I'll leave the steering to you. Make sure to get us safely away from Marineford." Law continued. Even when he said it, even Law himself had a hard time believing his own words, and it wasn't a secret that the others think the same. Escaping from a war with a scale this big would be no simple feat, and Law wanted to leave with little casualties as possible.

As the surgeon internalized the huge obstacle they would have to face soon, his thoughts were interrupted as the sound of gum chewing filled the room once again. Law's eye involuntarily twitched.

Sora popped her gum.

Law looked over his shoulder and unmistakeably saw the brunette smirking at his irritated expression. So she was doing it on purpose. Law was not suprised.

Looking at the Sora's languid body movements, you wouldn't think the group was heading to a full-scale all-out war. She probably figured she shouldn't disrupt Law's concentration, or maybe she just had enough dosage of pissing Law for today, but the brunette finally upped and left the room after shooting the surgeon one last muted sniggering look.

Law shook his head unbelievably. Well, he figured that he should just let her do what she wants (not that he hasn't been letting her already) before they plunge into the war.