CHAPTER 30

While shopping Aunt Maria asks me something unexpected that throws me off guard.

"So, what is going on between my nephew and you?" she asks me, smiling sheepishly.

"I don't understand what you mean, Aunt Maria," I reply totally confused as to why she would ask that.

"Really? Because if I didn't know better, I would say you guys are dating."

"Oh My! Why would you say such a thing, Aunt Maria," I say feeling shy and confused as to what made her think that. But maybe she thinks that because of how close Ismail and I are.

"Because of the way you treat each other."

"And how do we treat each other?" I wonder if she has another reason and it's not because Ismail and I are close.

"You treat each other like you are in love. You guys buy each other things when you go out, which is a sign you are thinking of one another while you are out. You are always happy when you see each other. And most especially, you are happy when the other is happy," she says smiling softly at me.

"Aunt Maria, I don't know..." I don't know what to say because everything she said is true. And it has made me realise I have feelings for Ismail. Oh My God, I Have Feelings for Ismail. Oh My God, I Have Feelings for Ismail. So, Emma and Fatima were right. I do like Ismail. Ya Allah, what am I going to do? This is going to change so many things between us. What if he doesn't feel the same way? Oh my God, what am I going to do? Then again, I don't know if what I feel is love. I do accept I have feelings for Ismail, but 'LOVE' is a strong word. It also explains why I miss him when he is not around and why I love his company more than ever.

"I know this must be overwhelming for you. Take your time and process it all." Aunt Maria pats me on the back. I don't answer but nod my head and continue shopping in a daze.

I really don't know what to do. How do I behave around Ismail now? Can he tell I like him from how I act? Should I change the way I act around him? Ya Allah, I am so confused. I don't know what to do, but I know just the person to call to help me in my situation right now.

For the first time in a long time, I was happy to not see Ismail upon our return home from the store. Now that I have discovered my feelings for him, I don't know how to behave around him. I have never been so happy to have a meeting moved up a day. So, before I lose my mind, I take the opportunity to call my mum using Facetime video-chat.

After a few rings, my mum answers. She looks beautiful like always.

"As salamu alaykum, mummy," I greet, smiling at my mom through the face time call.

"Wa alaykumu salama, baby girl," she responds smiling back. Waheeda is the younger version of my mom. If you see the two of them together you could mistake them for sisters, instead of mother and daughter. They look that much alike.

"How are you doing mummy?"

"I am fine dear, but I don't have to ask to know something is wrong. What is making you sad?" she asks with concern showing all over her face.

"Mummy, I am having problems with my heart."

"Are you sick or something?" she interrupts sounding confused and worried.

"No, mummy not that way. I mean, I have feelings for someone, and I don't know what to do."

"You mean you have feelings for Ismail, and you don't know what to do about it?" my mother laughs softly.

"How did you know?" I am shocked she knows about Ismail.

"Madam, every time you call to check up on me, you must tell me something about him. Waheeda also told me. She suspects you guys like each other," she says in a 'you don't say' tone.