CHAPTER 56

It's been a few days since David said he found something. I won't say he found something useless, but neither will I say useful. He just discovered something odd that day. David was monitoring the locations of the places Mr. Alberto was going to through the GPS tracker. When he said he found something, he realized that Mr. Alberto was going towards the outskirts of town. We followed him and thought he was going to a club on the outskirts of town. It's normal for Mr. Alberto to go to a club, but what makes it odd is the fact that this is more of a small bar, and not even a busy one at that. There is no security at the door to ask you for their ID's and there is no line of people waiting to enter. It's really a small bar, and what makes it odd is that he goes there every day. Mr. Alberto is a well-known person in society and could get into any club here in San Francisco he wants to. So, the question we are asking ourselves is why does he go to such a small bar every day? Ismail and I plan to go there later today, to see what makes the place so special that Mr. Alberto goes there every day. David wanted to go by himself, but that is too risky, so Ismail and I offered to go.

I pray Dhuhr and walk to the living room to do some work. I am working from home these days. I can't go back to work until Mr. Alberto's case is over. Waheeda gave Lisa my laptop and a few clothes for me, so now I don't have to wear Lisa's clothes anymore. Waheeda took my things to the hospital Lisa works in. It is too risky for Waheeda to come here and drop it off herself.

I have been praying hard and hoping that Mr. Alberto will not try anything extreme and harm anyone close to Ismail. Like their attempt to kidnap me. It doesn't bear even imagining something happening to anyone close to us. We have all been through enough already. My supervisor isn't too happy either that I won't be spending my last days at the office. I'm not happy about it either and admit I miss the interaction, even her nagging. In Shaa Allah, I wish this would all be over before my time is up at the company. I didn't tell her what's going on though, we can't tell anyone what's happening right now. I am busy working on my laptop when someone walks into the living room.

"As salaam alaykum, Umit, what are you doing?" Ismail greets, walking into the living room.

"Wa alaykumu salam, I am trying to get some work done," I reply stretching my hands a little. They feel stiff from all the work I have been doing all day. The only time I left my laptop since this morning was when I went to pray. I have a lot I must do before the end of today, and the fact that I am going to be busy tonight is making me rush to get it all done.

"You shouldn't stress yourself so much, you should take a break. Maybe watch TV or something, you need to rest," Ismail says pulling my laptop away from me.

"I will rest later; I have a lot I have to do before the end of the day," I pull the laptop back toward me.

"As your boyfriend, I demand you rest," Ismail insists, shocking me in a funny way.

"What!!!" I respond laughing so much, tears start forming in my eyes.

"Why are you laughing?" Ismail is chuckling himself at what he said.

"Because you are not my boyfriend, and you know that."

"Even though I am not, it's not like I love you any less than a boyfriend would love his girlfriend."

"That's true, and I love you too."

"Why are you guys not dating?" Lisa asks curiously.

"Because it's sinful," Ismail and I respond at the same time.

"Oh, that's true, but I heard there is something you guys call Islamic dating?" Lisa replies.

"Some say there is, some say there is not. So, to be on the safe side we just don't date," Ismail answers.

"Oh, really? But what is the reason your religion makes dating sinful?"

"It's because the things people who are dating do, are things one is meant to do with one's spouse. Like kissing, holding hands, hugging and other things people that are dating do. You are meant to do these only with your spouse, not your boyfriend or girlfriend," I explain.

"Oh, now I understand. But can't you guys still date and not do all those things?" Lisa queries.

"What is the use having a boyfriend or a girlfriend when you can't do the things people who date do. It is like having your house, but you can't live in it," I state.

"Yeah, that makes perfect sense. But I have to say, being in love with each other and you can't even hold hands, you guys are both conducting yourselves well. Wow, that's wonderful," Lisa says.

"You could say that. But I look at it as one of the trials Allah has placed in my life," Ismail replies smiling.

"Me too," I confirm, nodding.

"Wow, you guys are one powerful couple," Lisa says sounding a bit wowed by our commitment not to date.

"Thank you" Ismail, and I both respond.

"You guys are welcome, and lunch is ready. That is what I actually came in here to say," Lisa announces.

"Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah), I am famished," I say.

"Me too," says Ismail.

We finished eating lunch hours ago, and we even just had dinner. We have prayed Asr (Late Afternoon), Maghrib (Evening) and we are about to pray Isha (Night) prayer before Ismail and I head out to the bar. We are going to be extra careful when we leave the house. I finished praying not too long ago, and I am waiting for Ismail in the living room. I don't wait for too long before he comes down, and we leave together.

We arrive at the bar after driving for an hour. We step out of the car and walk inside. While we are walking in, I am praying dearly nothing bad happens, and no one recognizes us. As we step inside, all eyes turn towards Ismail and me. Wow, do we look that out of place? It must be because of I am wearing a hajib going into a bar. You don't see that every day, because they should not have any other reason to look at me as they are. I also think our plan to not get noticed has gone up in flames, but Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) I don't see anyone I recognize from the night they captured us.

Ismail and I walk over to the far corner of the bar and take a seat. We came before Mr Alberto usually comes, and we are going to wait for him. When he comes, we plan to see what he does here or who he meets, that makes this place so special he comes every day. While we are waiting, I realize we did not plan what we are going to do now we are here. This could be a big mistake on our part.

"Ismail."

"Yes, Umit."

"So, what is the plan when Mr. Alberto comes in," I ask.

"I really don't know because it depends on what he does here."

"That's true because if he meets someone here to make deals there is no way he will do that in the open. They will probably have a secret place here in the bar they meet and talk."

"Yeah, if only we knew where they would talk, we could try and get close and eavesdrop. Maybe pick up some information on his dealings, like a location or names."

"I don't think we should be close to him; we shouldn't risk getting caught. Once we know if he has a spot where he talks, we can maybe come back tomorrow and place listening bugs around the room," I say thinking it's safer we are far away from Mr. Alberto and his goons. Because if he or any of his men sees us, I don't even want to imagine what will happen to Ismail and me. At least the last time they came to kidnap us, but this time we practically walked into the lion's den.

"That's a wonderful idea, Umit, and we have to be very careful tonight."

"Yes, we do."

Most people would wonder why Ismail and I are going through so much risk to help a friend, but the truth is we are helping ourselves too. Mr Alberto is not only out to get Ismail and me because he thinks we have evidence against him. He also wants to kill us and bury whatever evidence we have. So, the only way Ismail and I can go back to our normal lives is if we get evidence against him.