CHAPTER 35

A few hours has gone by since we got the devastating news about Abeela's disappearance. Ismail was able to get the pilot to get the plane ready in record time. We are currently flying back to America. Fatima has been crying so much I feared she might make herself sick. She is sleeping now, finally agreeing to rest. I can't imagine what Fatima is going through at the moment. The uncertainty of what is happening to your loved one makes the imagination go wild. You don't know if the person is well or is being treated well. You don't know if the person is fed or not. You don't know if they are torturing your loved one or not. The horrors the person might be facing might be unbearable. The uncertainties are so many, you might lose your mind. I can't imagine anyone from my family getting kidnapped, like maybe Waheeda's children or even Ismail. No! I should not let my imagination even go there. My life would feel like it's been shattered from the horrors I will face if I were to lose him. Ismail. He never had the chance to tell me what he meant when he said I mean a lot to him. I wonder if he was going to tell me he likes me or even tells me he loves me. What if he loves me? Do I love him? How do you know you love someone? I don't know if what I feel for Ismail is love yet, but I know after the conversation we had a few hours ago my feelings for him are growing. I don't where it is all going to lead to.

I step out of the bedroom to get a glass of water. I walk to the kitchen area on the plane and walk towards the fridge. I am closing the fridge after taking a bottle of water when I see Udar sitting on one of the kitchen stools.

"You scared me," I say, holding my bottle of water close to my chest.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to. How is Fatima doing?" Udar is looking forlorn like we all are.

"She is better, she is sleeping," I say sitting on a stool opposite him.

"Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah). I know Fatima blames herself for what is happening to her sister. I blame myself too. I wish I could do something," Udar says, talking about the fact that we are guessing Liz might be the one behind Abeela's kidnapping.

"You guys have not done anything wrong by being in love with one another. And we might be wrong about Liz being the one responsible for Abeela's kidnapping. We just have to wait until we get back to be sure. And what we can do now is to pray a lot for Abeela. I suggest we all wake up for night prayers."

"Yeah, you might be right. I will keep praying for us to find her soon."

"Alright, that's good. I will head back to check on Fatima," I say walking towards the bedroom. I walk back to the room to sleep and the next time I open my eyes, we are landing in America. Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) we are back safely.

As soon as we land, we all drive to Fatima's house. Udar already had cars waiting, so we did not have to call anyone to come and pick us up. Fatima is awake and she is not crying, but she is in deep thought and has not said much since we arrived. I don't even know how to help my friend. Ya Allah, please let us find Abeela soon and safe.

It is in the evening, so we must wait till tomorrow to meet the detective in charge of Abeela's case, but we are still going to meet with Fatima's mom to find out what happened.

We reach Fatima's house. Fatima does not wait for anyone before she runs out of the car and pulls her mom into a deep hug as she starts crying again. Her parents were waiting at the front door for us. We say Salam to them before stepping inside. Once we are seated, Fatima is the one who breaks the silence.

"How did you know Abeela was kidnapped?" Fatima says, finally speaking more than three words since everything happened.

"Abeela went out yesterday to see a friend, but she did not come back on time. I kept calling her, but she didn't answer her phone or texts. Then I received a message, and it was a video. I will play the video for you," Aisha, Fatima's mom says.