CHAPTER 13

"Babe, I am so tired I could fall asleep on your couch right now," I say lying down on one of the couches in Fatima's office.

"I have been going for interviews for the past two weeks. I am so tired of saying the same thing to different people. I could lose my mind doing this," I say getting comfortable on the couch.

"I am fine, thank you for asking and work is great," Fatima replies sarcastically.

"I'm sorry, Fatima, I did not ask you how you are doing. Let's start again. As-Salamu Alaykum, how are you, Fatima? How is work?"

"Wa Alaykum salam, now that's better. I am doing fine, and work is work. So now I would ask you how your day is, but I already know. Sorry about all the interviews. Don't worry, In Shaa Allah, you will get the visas," Fatima says.

"How are things with Udar?" I ask recalling her telling me they had a few issues.

"Like I always say, better than you working with Ismail."

"That's not true, and for your information Ismail and I don't fight anymore."

"Are you serious?" Fatima says looking at me with disbelieve.

"Yes, I am. And now that I think of it, it's weird that we don't fight anymore."

"It's not weird. It's what normal people do," Fatima says in an exasperated tone.

"We are normal people."

"Yeah, right! But anyway, I am happy you guys are getting along. Now my ears can take a break," Fatima says smiling.

"Hey! I don't complain about him that much," I defend myself.

"You sure do, Umit!."

"Maybe I do, but anyway... I am sorry," I say knowing I can be a handful when I start complaining.

"It's fine. I agreed to it the day I became your best friend."

.

"And this is why I don't," Fatima says laughing.

"I know you do and that's why you are going to get me something to eat while I rest," I say getting comfortable on the couch.

"The only reason I am getting you something to eat is because..." she says getting up from her seat.

"I guess I do then," she says chuckling while stepping out of her office.

I am dreaming when I hear my name called, reluctantly waking me up.

"Umit, Umit, you need to wake up," Udar says, trying his best to wake me up.

"I'm up, I'm up," I mumble, waking up with a jolt when I realise the voice belongs to Udar.

"Where am I and why are you waking me up," I say forgetting how I ended up sleeping on a couch.

"You are in Fatima's office. Ismail asked me to remind you about the meeting you guys have in an hour, and to be ready when he gets here."

"Oh, why didn't he call me?" I say picking up my phone, "You don't need to answer that. He called," I say seeing the missed calls I have from Ismail. I did not hear it ring because my phone is on silent. I am sure Fatima did it so I could sleep and not be disturbed.

"I'm sorry you had to come and wake me up," I say feeling bad Ismail made him come all the way here.

shoulders.

"Alright. How are you?" I say trying to sound normal after all the new information I have been told about him. Just because he might have done something wrong does not give me any right to judge him.

"I am fine, and I know why you sound like that," he says.

"How do I sound to you?" I ask, wondering if I spoke my thoughts aloud.

"I don't know how to explain it. But I want to tell you something since you seem to know everything now," he says walking towards the door.

"Which is?"

"There are always two sides to a story," he says walking out of the office leaving me wondering what in Allah's name he is talking about.

I will think about it later. Now I need to make myself look presentable before Ismail gets here. I bet I look a fright because sleeping on a couch is not the best place to sleep. I freshen up and pray Dhuhr prayer before Ismail gets here.

Ismail picked me up a couple of hours ago. We finished the meeting half an hour ago. I am currently working in my office when I get a knock on the door. I ask the person to come in, and I am shocked to see Austin walk into my office in that arrogant manner he has. But something feels off about him today. I wait for him to speak before saying anything.

"Hi Umit, I am sure you are shocked to see me here," he says.

courteously.

"Thank you and how are you?" he says taking a seat in front of my desk.

"I am fine, how about you?" I wonder why in Allah's name he is here.

"I am good, but I have been better," he says sounding miserable.

"I would be better if your lovely friend returned my calls."

"Oh, and I am guessing the lovely friend of mine is Emma."

"Yes, that's why I came here to talk to you. Please, could you talk to her and get her to answer my calls? It's critical she does," he says looking a bit stressed.

"I don't know what is going on, but for you to come all the way here I am guessing it is important. I will talk to her and ask her to answer your calls, but I am not making any promises."

"Wow, thank you. Why did you agree to talk to her without even knowing the reason?"

"One, because it's none of my business, and two, one look at you I can tell you're miserable and I don't like that look on you," I answer. Even though Austin isn't one of my favorite people, I don't like seeing him stressed out and unhappy.

"Thank you so much, Umit. You really are a wonderful person, like Ismail says," he says getting up to leave.

"You are welcome. Wait, Ismail thinks I am wonderful?" I am surprised Ismail thinks well of me.

"Yes, he does. Bye. See you later," he says leaving my office.

"Bye." I'm left confused to hear Ismail thinks I am a wonderful person.

I need to ask Fatima. Maybe she can answer why he would think that, but first I need to speak with Emma.