CHAPTER 4

It is lunchtime and I am meeting up with my best friend Fatima in a restaurant not too far from where we both work. I observe Dhuhr (afternoon) prayer before going to meet her. Emma and I arrive at the place before Fatima. We order our food while waiting for her. I order buffalo chicken wrap with homemade ranch salad and a glass of water. Emma orders chicken cob salad with a watermelon smoothie.

"So, how is work?" I say and take a bite of my food.

Emma and I don't work in the same department. She works in the administrative department while I work in the programming department.

"Work is fine other than the fact that my supervisor can be overbearing at times."

"Sorry, I know how that feels."

"He is so annoying that sometimes, I wish I could knock some sense into him."

"I can imagine you doing that to him," I chuckle.

"Thank God, I only have to work under him for a year."

"That's right, your internship ends after a year."

"Yes, it does."

"I just remembered I have a basketball game on Saturday, would you like to come?" I say recalling we have a match this Saturday.

"You play basketball?" Emma asks, looking shocked.

"Yes, I do. And I understand why you are surprised. I don't come off as someone who plays sports."

"Yeah, you don't."

"I know. I would have you know I am an athlete," I say smiling.

"Wow, if you hadn't told me I would have never guessed." Emma says still looking a bit surprised.

"I hear that a lot."

"Which other sports do you play?"

"I play volleyball, I run and any other athletic sport."

"That's nice, and you can count me in on Saturday. I will bring all my cheerleading spirit with me," Emma says smiling.

"Alright, I will send the address to you, and Fatima is here," I say as I see Fatima stepping inside. I wave my hand so she can see me. After turning a few times, she spots Emma and me and walks toward us.

"As-salamu Alaykum! (Peace be upon you)" she greets coming up to hug me before sitting down.

Fatima is dark skinned and 5 feet 6 inches tall. She is of Somalian heritage but born and raised in America, so that makes her first generation American.

"Wa Alaykum salam! (peace be upon you too)" I reply hugging her back.

.

.

.

"Babe, you won't believe who my boss is," I say to Fatima.

"Ismail!"

"Ismail, Ismail?" Fatima says with a knowing look.

"Yes Ismail, Ismail."

"How?"

"He is the CEO of the company."

"You are kidding me, right? Babe, tell me the truth." Fatima says taking a little bite from my food.

"Hey, don't touch my food and I am not joking." I say hitting her hands away from my food.

"Can I ask something?" Emma says looking confused.