CHAPTER 42

I arrive at the restaurant and walk in to meet Fatima and Emma.

"As salamu alaykum, how are you guys doing?" I greet hugging them both.

"Wa alaykumu salam, we are doing great," Fatima replies.

"Same here," Emma says hugging me.

"Umit, what in God's name are you wearing?" Fatima says when I take off my coat to sit down.

"Oh this? It is Ismail's shirt, I borrowed it. Mine got..." I start to explain, but I don't get to finish before Fatima cuts me off.

"You are wearing whose shirt? Umit, I know we gave you our blessing, but there are steps to follow," Fatima says in a dramatic voice while shaking her head.

"Fatima, what are you saying?" I respond totally confused.

"I am saying, now you are wearing his shirt. The next thing we know, your stomach is growing more than normal," Fatima sounds like she is holding back her laughter.

"Fatima you are not serious, you know that is impossible. I don't even know why I am answering you," I say shaking my head understanding what Fatima is implying, but I also know she just wants to mess with me.

"I am being serious Umit. Emma is this not how it all starts," Fatima teases.

"Fatima, will you stop messing with Umit. I am sure there is a good reason as to why she is wearing Ismail's shirt," Emma says.

"Thank you, Emma, and yes, there is. Fatima, I don't blame you, you don't have work this afternoon. That's why you want to make trouble. Let me eat my lunch. I don't have time for your mischief." I say shaking my head.

"There is no need for that bestie. I was only joking. I know there must be a good reason as to why you are wearing his shirt," Fatima states.

"Just as well, because if not, if not, if not..." I say in a dramatic voice.

"I know, I know, but really why are you wearing his shirt? I can't come up with any good reason to why you would," Fatima says.

"Yeah, why?" Emma asks. I explain to them what happened this morning, and how embarrassing it was for me.

"So, he saw your bra," Fatima laughs.

"I am sure you wished you could disappear at that moment," Emma says laughing.

"Why are you guys laughing? It was very embarrassing for me. It was only by Allah's grace I was able to face him again, I was so embarrassed," I say, feeling like they are not doing anything to make me feel better after what happened this morning.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to laugh but it's kind of funny" Fatima says, still grinning.

"Sorry, I won't laugh again," Emma says trying to hold back her laughter too.

"It's not funny, stop laughing. I already have enough reminders of what happened, whenever I look at the shirt I am wearing today," I huff.

"We are sorry, and the shirt does not look that bad. You are rocking it pretty nice," Emma says.

"Yeah, you are, so don't mind us. You don't look bad," Fatima chimes in.

"Really, because that was the same thing Ismail said this morning," I say looking at my outfit.

"Yes, he is right. I only noticed because I know most of your clothes, and I know you don't have anything like this," Fatima says. The reason Fatima knows most of my clothes is that she wears half of them. Every time she comes to visit me, she always checks my closet and if I have new clothes, she always picks a few for herself. The same goes for when I go to her house so you can say we are even.